Thread: Red Bank, NJ

Default Red Bank, NJ

Anyone hear anything about this community?

The GF is asking about it, seeing houses there that are quite beautiful.

the question is, how is this area? The commute looks rather long, and I know that they have been building a lot along the NJ shore communities, but I have not heard too much about RB.

Any information would be welcomed.

TY!

The Dude Abides

Red Bank is a very picturesque town set on the Navesink River. It's more than 100 years old, and has one of the nicer downtown areas of any small city in New Jersey. Broad Street, which is the main retail corridor, is pretty well preserved and has the feel of a true main street. Red Bank is pretty compact, and has recently gotten pretty expensive. There are a lot of old Victorian homes in the town itself, whereas in the surrounding communities there is a lot of new construction, especially as you get close to the beaches. Rumson, which is next door, and Navesink River Road, which is across the river, have some of the most expensive homes in all of New Jersey. I would really suggest you take a trip down there at some point, as the setting is really nice. As for the commute: I used to take a bus to Manhattan every day for four years from Holmdel, which is about 10-15 minutes up the road from Red Bank. That took, on average, between an hour and 90 minutes one way. There is also a train station in town, but I don't know how long it takes to get to Penn from there. Any other questions, just post them. I can basically tell you anything about the area.

The commute is a killer....

I had only small doubts about the town itself (as I have seen other towns in the area start developments to produce McMansions on rather small, flat, un-covered sod lots).

By "compact" I assume that it probably has one or two restaurants, a few convenience stores and the like and maybe that is about it.

I guess we would have to see it to know for sure.

THX!

The Dude Abides

Yeah, if you're thinking about moving, I'd say the only drawback to the area is the commute. You have to be ready to make a long-term commitment in that regard. Otherwise, the area is fantastic. It has almost everything you'd want, and when the weekend rolls around, you're 10-15 minutes away from the beach, 5 minutes away from the marina if you're lucky enough to own a boat, and there's a lot of shopping nearby too.
    Just to clarify, by compact I meant that it is relatively small compared to surrounding areas. Middletown, which is right to the north, is a town of over 60,000, but it's huge. It spreads across, I'd say, at least 25 square miles, with lots of smaller, mini-districts, but unfortunately, no real downtown area, though they are planning of "constructing" one within the next few years. I've seen plans for it, and they look amazing. If you've ever been to Princeton, that's more or less what they're trying to construct right off route 35, which is the major service road in the area. Red Bank, while much smaller in population (~10,000), has a really nice and defined downtown area. Broad Street is much more than a few restaurants and convenience stores. It has a lot of upscale shops, restaurants, and about 5 major financial services companies have small to moderate sized offices on the street. Also, there are plenty of shops and restaurants in the surrounding streets, especially by the train station. If you don't mind my suggesting, I seriously would urge you to get down there Sunday evening, around 7pm. Red Bank's 4th of July Fireworks celebration is a great event, with thousands of people driving in from all over the area. The fireworks are world-class, launched along the Navesink River. Before that, you can drive through the town, maybe catch some dinner at one of the good restaurants. I think it would make for a great evening.

"Anyone hear anything about this community?"

I've lived in Monmouth County my whole life, Red Bank is awesome. Great downtown community with a real sophisticated crowd (Rumson$$$).

For the best Sushi anywhere (and I've been to Nobu) go to the Downtown Cafe and in the back Master Yan will whip up the best Spicy Tuna Taki!...

The commute is easily, there's a NJ Transit Station there with direct service to Penn Station. There are also Diesel express trains to get you to Hoboken, there's also NY and Seastreak fast ferries from nearby Atlantic Highlands.

Go ride down on NJ Transit and check the town out!... Tons of restaraunts and night life.

Go check out train schedules on NJtransit.com.

The Dude Abides

STT757: Thanks for sharing about the sushi experience. If my memory serves me correctly, that place is on Broad Street? There are some pretty good sushi places off Route 35. I almost always go to Sono, which is in Middletown. Voted best sushi in Monmouth.

I have not been to Red Bank yet, but I will get there this summer. I know 3 couples in Hoboken that are in the process of moving there now. Supposedly, Red Bank is drawing a ton of people from Hoboken as their choice for suburban life when they leave the 'boken.

The Dude Abides

Zoe: Come see the Red Bank Fireworks show tomorrow, Sunday July 3rd. It's amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe
    I have not been to Red Bank yet, but I will get there this summer. I know 3 couples in Hoboken that are in the process of moving there now. Supposedly, Red Bank is drawing a ton of people from Hoboken as their choice for suburban life when they leave the 'boken.
    That would be me.

Also, for the same price as the 1200 SF condo, you get an acre with 3X the SF in the house.

Two problems being, the commute (if you are IN Hoboken, having your commute jump to a schedule and 1:30 when it is 25min on a good day is quite a change), and the fact that we just moved INTO Hoboken a year ago. (I lived here about 8 years now).

It is good to hear that they have a "city" area (most of the suburbs we looked at had none to speak of). We will have to see it to see if it is right for us....

And we may need to hire movers. I know we would not be able to get friends and family to help this soon after just doing it......

View Askew Productions (Kevin Smith's production company) and Jay & Silent Bob's comic shop are both in Red Bank. It's got a nice main street/business district, as has been said, and the High Speed Ferry is a cool, albeit expensive, way to commute to downtown Manhattan.

Link to the ferry info?

TY.

Yeah, there are not mony that go, it takes about 10 min less than a train, and it is EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!

OMG!

Maybe this is a place to look for if I get a job somewhere a bit closer...

Cool New theater in Red Bank

Check this out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winning-final-small.jpg 
Views:	681 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	996