Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee shops

Talking Coffee shops

I was wondering how to go about finding the coffe places in NYC? Like starbucks and such. is there somewhere online to find out where they are located? Like by the empire state building? Thank you.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by abbygirl
    I was wondering how to go about finding the coffe places in NYC? Like starbucks and such. is there somewhere online to find out where they are located? Like by the empire state building? Thank you.
    Manhattan is kind of overrun with Starbucks, but if you want to do the chain thing, you can look up locations on their site. NY-ers like our coffee, so you will find many options on a short walk down any residential avenue. Are you looking for something specific?

Talking Thank you

Thank you for letting me know about the coffe thing. You make it sound like there's a coffee place on each street corner, well that's what i've heard anyways. What other coffee places do they have there? I live in oregon so starbucks was the first thing to come to mind. Thank you.

There's also this site: http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/NewYorkCity.htm ,where you can look the location and the photo of each starbucks in Manhattan. (approx. 150 stores).

Default Go here for a good Colombian coffee

Last week, the The National Federation of Colombian Coffee Growers opened its second Juan Valdez coffee shop in Manhattan (the first opened in Washington, D.C. earlier in September). There are plans to open 300 of these shops worldwide in the next three years.

Designed by Hariri & Hariri Architecture (Iranian-born sisters Gisue and Mojgan Hariri), the storefront's primary feature is a folded teak plane inspired by the irregular surface of a coffee bean. The design intent is to reinterpret the sedate 19th Century Viennese coffeehouse as a modern, multi-sensory space defined by fluid forms and leading-edge materials, complete with wireless internet.

The National Federation of Coffee Growers of Colombia - responsible for the creation of the Juan Valdez character - is the umbrella organization of small, independent, member coffee farmers which promotes Colombia's coffee industry and exports it to the rest of the world. A non-profit organization, they seek to raise the standard of living for more than 560,000 Colombian coffee farmers and their communities.

The New York Times on the launch of the Juan Valdez brand of coffee shops, which includes an interesting graphic on where the purchase price goes.

The Juan Valdez coffee shop is located at 140 East 57th Street at Lexington Avenue in Midtown East.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumPI
    There's also this site: http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/NewYorkCity.htm, where you can look the location and the photo of each starbucks in Manhattan. (approx. 150 stores).
    That website is depressing. I'd rather get coffee from starbucks than a gas station, but not a cart.

Abby- what kind of coffee place are you looking for? You'll find less of a cafe culture here than on the west coast - we have it, but it's harder to find. Tea Lounge in Park Slope is the closest I've come to a truly laid back coffee house with couches like in Seattle, but I Park Slope is off the beaten tourist path. You will definitely find places to buy coffee on every corner, but maybe not places to hang out at...

ryan, I agreed with you on website is a bit depressing, but it was just to get the idea of the number of starbucks stores.

The Juan Valdez store looks good and maybe smells better.

Talking average coffee price?

thank you for all your replies. so what are the average price for coffee & the sizes? thank you.

Joyce

I think Starbucks is pretty standard across the country.

Default mocha's

i'm pretty much loooking for a place that would sell Mocha's. Yes and being on the west coast starbucks is nation wide, (and sometimes there coffee taste burnt) but i'm up to trying new brands in ny. thank you.

as far as starbucks goes you can hardly walk 2 blocks with out finding one!!!

I highly recommend Oren's. A local chain with excellent coffee at prices far lower than Starbucks. Far friendlier employees and generally better music too. Very very limited seating in the location near me, though, it's mainly a takeout place.

Default Good Coffee

Can anyone suggest any good coffee shops/dunkin doughnuts etc close to or on East 47th street?

Thanks.
    Last edited by MattUK; February 8th, 2006 at 03:24 PM.

Default Nice Desert Places/Coffee Shops in New York

There are not too many good/cosy European-style coffee shops in New York. Here are the ones I know of - please add more if you know of other places where one can have a nice desert and a cup of good latte.

Cafe Lalo on UWS
    Cafe Bruno
    Edgar Cafe
    Cafe Reggio in Greenvich Village
    Cafe Mozart
    Payard Bistro

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpice View Post
    There are not too many good/cosy European-style coffee shops in New York. Here are the ones I know of - please add more if you know of other places where one can have a nice desert and a cup of good latte.

Cafe Lalo on UWS
    Cafe Bruno
    Edgar Cafe
    Cafe Reggio in Greenvich Village
    Cafe Mozart
    Payard Bistro
    I wonder if there are any other nice coffee houses that have opened since I posted that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast