Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow

Default Snow

Hi,

My name is Brian, I am from Florida and I have never seen snow in my life.
    This year (jan, 2004) I am committed to go see snow. The options are many, but I have chosen NYC as the place I wanna go see snow.
    I was planning on going after New Year's, around the 5th of january. But I am still debating with my family, because I want to see a lot of snow, snow storms, snow on the streets, snow on the roofs, snow EVERYWHERE. But at the same time I want to be able to go out, go places, shop, eat out, and things every good tourist wants to do.
    So, new yorkers, help me........when should I go ??
    I am looking for this kinda of snow...lol

All that...but like I said before, I want to be able to go to Central Park, shop around, go ice skating, etc

I also wanted to ask you guys what are the best and cheapest areas to get a hotel. I am not planning on spending a lot of money on a hotel as I dont plan to stay inside the room long. I want some place that I can sleep in, that is close to subways, close to Central Park (that's a must !).

Thank you and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Forum Veteran

Well, snow, like any other kind of weather/precipitation, isn't always predictable. Last winter was a hellish rain of it, yet there are years when there's almost none. I guess January would be a good time to come, right near the middle of snow season.

As for a hotel, someone said something about a Holiday Inn or two around Midtown... I forgot who. They'll probably post here.

I wouldn't tie yourself to any one weekend, because, like the other guy said, there's no guarantee of snow. Maybe keep your eyes open for last-minute weekend packages on travel websites (Orbitz.com, Travelocity.com, Expedia.com, etc.). That will take care of your hotel and flight in one deal. You're not going to find any cheap hotels around Central Park.

Or stay in Montreal, Toronto, or Niagra Falls (beautiful in the winter). Snow's a better bet up there, and there's still plenty to do.

Yeah, I understand that snow is unpredictable, but what wanted to know was whether USUALLY in the beginning of january NYC gets a lot of snow. Or whether in the end of january the probability of snow storms are greater than in early january.

I found this hotel
    "Quality Hotel on Broadway
    215 W 94TH ST"
    for 85 bucks/night. What you think about the location ? It is just 1 mile away from Central Park.....and like I said, I am not looking for luxury, I'd rather spend my money around NY than in a room.

Default snow

Brian, come to Montreal Canada. you'll see snow for sure!!

Hi Brian.

Chances are you will not experience snow during your vacation. But you will experience the streets, which are always very cold and frigid. The indoors will be your haven. Im sure there are those who disagree with me, but Manhattan in the winter is harsh. My advice is that you experience the best skiing at hand in Colorado, and actually enjoy a New York City vacation in the summer, both of them are quite an experience.

For lodging, I have always recommend Comfort Inn Central Park. For $69 you get a nice place to sleep and a good breakfast, in proximity to a subway station and a short one block walk to central park.

Having lived in and around NYC my whole life I will tell you snow is very unpredictable, we had years like '93/'94 and most notably '95/'96 when it snowed every Friday from Thanksgiving to Easter (or it seemed that way).

Last year we had a good snow season, I was stuck in my house for two days before I could dig out my driveway.

However there's no way to tell before hand if it's going to be a snowy Winter, my belief is that it will be because of all the rain we had this Summer but Im no Al Roker.

As for the best snow month, believe it or not my experience (28 years) is that late Feburary and early March are the snowiest months, especially early March.

If your truely have your heart on seeing snow please go to Canada, Buffalo, Colorado etc..

Or you can wait and monitor the weather in NYC, if it starts looking like it will be a "snowy" Winter make a quick trip up here.

NYC is beautiful when there's a nice snow cover, it's really quiet and everything is peacefull.

Snowboken:

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Hi Brian.

Chances are you will not experience snow during your vacation. But you will experience the streets, which are always very cold and frigid. The indoors will be your haven. Im sure there are those who disagree with me, but Manhattan in the winter is harsh. My advice is that you experience the best skiing at hand in Colorado, and actually enjoy a New York City vacation in the summer, both of them are quite an experience.
    I actually feel that Manhattan in the winter (snow or not) is beutiful. I love the frigid cold, the frost, and the nice cold breezes. I really dont like it in the summer, too hot, too many people swetting, and well I hate the hear

Now would be a good time to come, 23 inches! And it's not even Winter "Officially" yet, two more weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by STT757
    Now would be a good time to come, 23 inches! And it's not even Winter "Officially" yet, two more weeks.
    LOL :-)
    I was thinking the samething this morning. Oh man, I should've gone to NY this weekend.
    Oh well, I am sure there will be plenty more to see.

Default snow...

Hi, first time on this board though I've viewed some of the threads a few times.

I'm visiting NYC for the first time this weekend and was just wandering how much of the recent snowfall will be left in a weeks time ?

Being from the UK I'm very used to snow melting away within 48 hours of it arriving !

Thanks for any response !! 8)

Normally NYC doesn't get a such a big snowfall this early - it still is autumn after all, and temperatures don't usually stay below freezing in early December. We're supposed to have warmer temperatures and rain on Wednesday and Thursday. Though there was a lot of snow, most of it will probably be gone - except for some piles of dirty snow made by the plows.

There is no new snow (as of now) in our forecast:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/narrative/10020

Enjoy your stay!

Two blizzards in one year. Pretty rare.

If you really want snow, take a side trip to Rochester, New York - the snowiest city in America with an average 94 inches per year.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast