Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New luxury condos in Sheepshead Bay

Default New luxury condos in Sheepshead Bay

There is an article in this weeks Bay News

My Summary

Palm Shore coming down and condos are going up there. Big article on beautiful waterfront condos being built at the old cabana site and across the street as well. As a Bay condo owner I am thrilled with these new construction projects. *Pricing for the condos across the
    street from Palm Shore should be between $380 - 410,000 accordingto the Bay News. I am hoping Palm Shore condos are going to be as nice as the new Oceana condos in Brighton. Oceana has some units selling for over $1.2 million!!!

Forum Veteran

1) Oceana is unspeakable. Never mention it again.

2) Where does it say beautiful?

I saw the old building coming down on Saturday. It was kind of a landmark but I guess I won't be sad about its departure.

Wow I think the Oceana condos are absolutely awesome for Brighton. 15 buildings with *outdoor pools and an indoor pools. $1.2 mill for penthouses. Its about time our waterfront got some luxury living. Joshua Muss did a great thing for Brighton Beach. I hope Palm Shore turns out that good.

Forum Veteran

I wasn't dissing the upscale nature, but rather the architecture.

Forum Veteran

Are there any more details about this?

Oceana is a gated communiy in one of the most vibrant neighborhoods of Brooklyn, which speaks for itself. Snobby and exclusive.

Forum Veteran

I meant details on the new condos. *I know of Oceana.

I was responding to Gulcrapek.

Details on the Sheepshead condos

Palm Shore - 75 units * *Maximillion condo - not sure

Excerpts From the Bay News

According to architects for the project, the new development will consist of a 3 story, multiple family building followed by smaller one and two family attached houses built in a continuous wave from the bay.

The tallest part of the development- being built as of right - will reportedly stand no taller than the existing 35 ft tall Palm Shore Club.

"Its going to be an exciting project, " said architect Elana Kalman. We will have a visual corridor that will open it up for everyone driving along Emmons Ave. People will be able to see the bay, which is now blocked by the existing building."

Existing plans for the new development now call for a 66 space enclosed parking garage built under the multiple dwelling unit.

Another 3 story condoinium development consisting of 2 and 3 bedroom apartments is in the works directly across the street.

That project will reportedly be able to accomodate one parking spot for each condo unit in a spot accessed from Ford Street.

According to a spokesperson for Maximillion Realty, the condos will cost anywhere form $380,000 to $410,000.

Jacob Pinson (developer of the Palm Shore condo on pricing for that condo) - "Thats a little bit early for me to say... it'll be whatever the market is willing to pay , obviously"

Those who do move will be paying for a view of Sheepshead Bay.

The old Palm Shore Club was built very close to Emmons Ave, with many small cabanas located in the back of the property.

Project architects say the houses will be "more elongated" and "perpendicular" to Emmons Ave.

The property is over 200 feet deep

"We have a west wing and and east wing," said Kalman. The westen wing consists of 13 two family houses and they are approved completely. The zoning is approved for the other part but the Buildings Dept hasn't looked at it yet.

(Edited by muscle1313 at 8:52 pm on July 11, 2003)

Forum Veteran

Christian, again, I agree with you - what I said was that it's upscale. Nothing more.

And you should only know about the snobiness... I won't say more because it borders on racism, but I'll just say the people who live there tend to be loud, snobby, and obnoxious.

An Unlikely Contender in a Developers' Beauty Contest
    THE NEW YORK TIMES
    May 25, 2003

By TARA BAHRAMPOUR
    The New York Times

Earlier this year, when the National Association of Home Builders announced the five finalists for its 2003 award for the country's best for-sale housing community, most contenders were from places like Carmel-by-the-Sea, Calif., and Bonita Springs, Fla.

But one had a grittier provenance: Brooklyn, N.Y. That development, the Oceana Condominium and Club in Brighton Beach, is, in fact, the only finalist from New York City to be found among all 31 award categories - from best loft development to best garden apartment community - that the association has created.

The project, still under construction, will have 16 buildings with 850 apartments along the oceanfront where the Brighton Beach Baths long stood. The Muss Development Company of Forest Hills, Queens, is building the $250 million complex.

Today, it is a gated, landscaped complex with a gym, a large lawn, and indoor and outdoor swimming pools. With red brick exteriors and decorative cement globes, the design is meant to evoke traditional Brooklyn housing, but among the more modest buildings of Brighton Beach, it stands out like a gleaming resort.

When luxury housing was first proposed for the site, some people argued that local residents would be priced out. After some concessions, like lower building heights (they now range from 7 to 12 stories), Community Board 13 supported the plan.

At $400,000 for a two-bedroom apartment and $1.2 million for a four-bedroom waterfront penthouse with a large terrace, the condominiums are still out of reach for many local residents. But two-thirds of the apartments have been sold so far, said Diana Jabber, senior vice president of the development company.

Manuel Chiuten, a plastic surgeon from the Philippines, moved into the complex with his wife three years ago; since then they have bought two more units there.

"We used to go to the beach often, then we saw the sign," he said, referring to a billboard that presented a rendering of the complex to passers-by on Brighton Beach Avenue. His wife, who is from Ukraine, said the area reminded her of childhood vacations on the Black Sea.

Oceana did not win the home builders award. But Ms. Jabber was not too disappointed, considering the competition.

"These are these beautiful places that they put up in Carmel, Arizona, Florida, where you have these exquisite golf resorts," she said. "For a Northeastern urban community to get this far - it's just not done here very often."

Forum Veteran

Oceana is more modest than any of the surrounding buildings. And it's not red brick, it's painted concrete.

Beautiful my ass.

Knew you would disagree but thought it was an interesting article. Rumor has it that the new Sheepshead condos at the old Palm Shore site will be called Seaview Gardens. I hope they are as expensive as the Oceana condos. Great for the neighborhood.

Forum Veteran

It was an interesting article. I hope you didn't take any offense or anything lol, I don't kill the messenger .

No offense taken at all. I agree with just about all of your posts. I have been following this board for a long time. You guys cover Brooklyn development like nobody else.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast