Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: One Morton Square - 100 Morton Street - Condo - West Village - by Costas Kondylis

Default One Morton Square - 100 Morton Street - Condo - West Village - by Costas Kondylis

Does anyone know what is being built at the corner of Leroy and the West Side
    Highway? That's two blocks South of the new Perry West towers. That corner has
    been an empty lot surrounded by a construction fence with no activity for years. I just
    passed it this morning and a crew with earth movers are starting to dig a foundation.

Default Leroy and the West Side Highway?

From NY Times last sunday:

In August, construction started on a $200 million project in the Hudson Square neighborhood toward the southern end of West Street, covering a 62,500-square-foot block bounded by Washington and West Streets on the east and west, and Morton and Leroy Streets on the north and south. There will be 283 housing units in three buildings. The project is named Morton Square.

One building will be a 14-story condominium on Morton Street. Another is to be a six-story structure on Morton Street with six town houses at the base and loft apartments above. The third will be a seven-story rental on Washington Street. Completion is scheduled for the spring of 2004. Since the side streets and inland avenues have a more residential character than West Street, all the entrances to these buildings will be on Morton Street or Washington Street. But one leg of the 147-unit L-shaped condominium will border West Street and provide 52 apartments with head-on river views. About 12,000 square feet of commercial space will be provided at street level, a third of it on West Street. The developer is the J. D. Carlisle Development Corporation. Costas Kondylis & Partners is the architect.

Costas Kondylis & Partners did TWP. A lot of their work is also non-descript basic brick apartments. With Perry West towers just two blocks away, hopefully the developer will feel the call to do something adventurous and/or sophisticated.

100 Morton Street
    14-story condominium

600 Washington Street
    7-story rental

Developer: J. D. Carlisle Development Corporation
    Architect: Costas Kondylis & Partners

The start of a $200 million project in the Hudson Square neighborhood - Morton Square. 30 Hudson Street beyond. 21 December 2002.

Nice juxtaposition with Pelli's 30 Hudson rising in the background.
    Thanks Edward.

I recently saw Kondylis' rendering for River Side II. I have to say that the quality of the work his firm is producing has really improved since TWP. It has certainly brought them exposure and better commissions. I'm anxious to see if they get conservative here, or if they take an oportunity to do something daring with this location. The site sits almost shoulder to shoulder with the Meier's piece here. I don't think the body of Kondylis previous work (or new work for that matter) has been ground breaking enough to push his firm up to that Meier calibre of course (not by a long shot), but I do think the firm is getting to the point soon where they can do more than service just the New York City area.

Mar 12, 2003 Construction photos Morton Square

West and Leroy Sts

West and Morton Sts

Morton St

Washington and Morton Sts

Does anyone know of any renderings. The website Mortonsquare.com has nothing.

I hope this turns out...not bad.

(Edited by ZippyTheChimp at 9:08 pm on Mar. 13, 2003)

(Edited by ZippyTheChimp at 11:06 pm on Mar. 13, 2003)

Sorry, but they come in as broken links for me.

Forum Veteran

Quote: from chris on 10:05 pm on Mar. 12, 2003
    Sorry, but they come in as broken links for me.
    Ditto

Because of the web host you have to copy the pictures' URL's and paste them in your browser's address bar.

Forum Veteran

I saw a rendering somewhere. From what I remember the side has stripes and the thing is overall light colors. And I remember something about the windows. But not exactly what.

Sorry for the broken links. Not a software problem, more of a financial one (damn expiration dates).

Forum Veteran

It's okay, Zippy. *I can see the photos now.

Default Morton Square

Default Morton Square

That rendering is a relief. i thought the entire project was going to look like the Washington St side. Ersatz stone.

Default Morton Square

I think the rendering has an insipid suburban office park look to it...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast