Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 50 Trinity Place

Default 50 Trinity Place

To those who have not been aware of the discussion, here are some photos of a building to be torn down on the corner of Rector and Trinity. It's a beautiful building, very generous proportions, large windows, very detailed Terra Cotta facade and there was an excellent deli on the first floor that was forced to close, after serving the neighborhood around, also thru 911. The condition of the detailed facade is very good and first floor woodwork surely may reveal some further original condition.

I am concerned that this structure will go down soon. A couple of weeks ago there was some drilling going on, they seem to have been taking core samples or finding bedrock, drilling off of the street level floor downward. I recently filed a form and sent it to Landmarks and encourage you to do the same, form originally found by Lofter1.

I opened a web page for its memory in case it goes down soon, and will try to post relevant information on this thread. It's on:

http://50trinity.blogspot.com

Any further information about this building will be of help. Thanks

dc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z50-TrinityPl-fall-2006.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	3589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6087-crop.jpg 
Views:	567 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	3590  
    Last edited by drcronex; February 19th, 2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: text ref.

A very sad state of affairs, that ^^^

There are a number of posts spread about various threads regarding 50 Trinity Place.

One regarding Sam Chang / McSam hotels is HERE .

I had posted something on this in the NYC HOTEL NEWS thread ...

Originally Posted by drcronex

Here is the building at 50 Trinity Place they will tear down for a hotel.
    Originally Posted by Fabrizio

50 Trinity is a corner of Paris/Rome/London and the New York we all fell in love with.

People should be picketing.
    I took some pictures of this one today. The building is almost completely intact, except for some cruddy store-front infill on the first floor right at the corner of Rector / Trinity and some window infill along Rector (all of which can be remedied very easily with a proper renovation / restoration).

The rest is glorious.

How this building sat without Landmarks designation / protection for all these years is mindboggling.

To replace this small but architecturally elegant building with a kitschy McSam hotel will be a downright disgraceful event in NYC architectural history, that's all I need to say.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...bhous=&allstrt=

We may be too late...demolition permit filed. The new building application is for a 27 story building. It will be interesting to see a Kaufman/McSam on a corner lot...they are typically midblock.

What a shame to lose this little slice of downtown.

It's a wonderful looking building and a shame to lose it.

27 stories will bring in more cash, I suppose?

Sure more cash, but at what price?

Here are the similar sized McSams going up just below Times Square:

With all the progressive initiatives NYC is spearheading there needs to be an architectural integrity board as well, something that goes beyond the landmark commission and sets a certain bar for new developments, the city’s health is just as important as the health of its residents.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Unhappy

Nice idea but this town is too busy prostituting itself for that kind of mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    With all the progressive initiatives NYC is spearheading there needs to be an architectural integrity board as well, something that goes beyond the landmark commission and sets a certain bar for new developments, the city’s health is just as important as the health of its residents.
    I agree. Of course there is no shortage of people saying its not possible. Whenever there is tearing down of old buildings of interest or contribution to its neighborhood, there should be a demonstration of how a new building improves its site.
    Without this process there is no hope of improvements, as a discussion about quality is not going to happen at the bank investor level.

I remember talking to an Architectural Historian about a year ago, and I was very surprised to learn that he teaches part time at Columbia Business School, where he conducts lectures on how great architecture can enhance the publics perception of your business, which will lead to more investment, and more money.

I say we all chip in and buy McSam a semesters worth of one-on-one classes

At the very least they should deconstruct and sell the terra-cotta as architectural salvage. I think it would make a cool lobby or atrium if it were turned inside out, (or rather outside in).

Beautiful building indeed, and adds a lot to the streetscape. However, this is Downtown, and much more beautiful buildings all around bit the dust in the name of progress. Shame this one could not have been incorporated into the new tower, and shame that apparently it is not being replaced by a distinguished building. Any renders of the proposed hotel btw?

Search "Poon", "Chang" or "Kaufman" and no doubt you'll get the idea ...

(Although no images have been released -- which leads me to believe it will be a standard Chang POS.)

That subway bonus pushed this one up 8 more stories.

Holiday Inn, Financial District
    50 Trinity Place/ 5-9 Rector Place
    35 stories
    Gene Kaufman, Architect, PC
    McSam Hotel Group LLC
    Commercial Hotel
    244 rooms
    Proposed Mid 2008

Gene Kaufman, Architect, PC
    http://www.gkapc.com/

The 35-story building occupies a prominent corner in the heart of the nation’s financial center. The small footprint, prohibitive for offices, is ideally suited for hotel layout, affording views over a historic churchyard. The slender tower (aspect ratio 9:1) uses perimeter poured in-place shear walls, forming a hard building. The provision of new subway entrances with grand stairs and glass elevator gains a 15,000 square foot bonus for this 244-room hotel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50 Trinity Place 1  GKA.jpg 
Views:	5539 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	3972  

Any developer or architect with even a miligram of taste would have incorporated that lovely facade into the new hotel design. Unfortunately, we seem to have neither here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast