View Poll Results: Of these choices which is the greatest architectural loss?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. The New York World Building

6 16.22%
  • 2. The Manhattan Hotel

1 2.70%
  • 3. New York Tribune Building

2 5.41%
  • 4. City Hall Post Office

5 13.51%
  • 5. Savoy-Plaza Hotel

10 27.03%
  • 6. Temple Beth-El

0 0%
  • 7. Astor Hotel

4 10.81%
  • 8. Second Madison Square Garden

9 24.32%
  • 9. One Times Square

0 0%
  • 10. 2 Columbus Circle

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Other Architectural Losses

Default Other Architectural Losses

NYC has a great deal of architectural losses, I’m limited to ten poll choices, so besides the obvious big three losses, the World Trade Center, Penn Station, and the Singer Building, which of the following do you consider the biggest architectural loss.

1. The New York World Building

2. The Manhattan Hotel

3. New York Tribune Building

4. City Hall Post Office

5. Savoy-Plaza Hotel

6. Temple Beth-El

7. Astor Hotel

8. Second Madison Square Garden

9. One Times Square

10. 2 Columbus Circle

Last edited by NoyokA; February 10th, 2007 at 10:04 PM.

Banned Member

We're better off without that City Hall Post Office. I prefer having City Hall Park.

I like the list. A good selection. The Singer Building is mentioned alot and, of course, the old Penn Station.

Interesting to see these others. Do you collect old postcards?

I have a big vintage Coney Island Collection.

I do collect postcards, but the source for 1-9 is http://www.nyc-architecture.com/GON/GON.htm
    Last edited by NoyokA; February 10th, 2007 at 12:55 AM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The lost of these architectural gems are indeed painful but can someone show us what they were replaced with?

That should rub some salt in the proverbial wound.

Banned Member

The World and Tribune are beauties and really rounded out Park Row with some glory.

My vote however is for the Savoy. What a gorgeous building and the massing is just perfect. This was replaced by the GM building, am I right?

The city skyline behind the old MSG is incredibly intersting. All gone. Is there a date on that photo? That tower is a gem.

With the exception of the original Madison Square Garden, which was replaced by the New York Life Building, none of the above losses were replaced by anything noteworthy. There's some other great losses from nyc-architecture that I decided not to post because there replacements were arguably greater, such is the nature of progress.

The Gilender Building (Replaced by 14 Wall Street, The Bankers Trust Building); Also the Hanover Building (Bankers Trust Annex):

Hudson Terminals (Old, but of questionable architectural merit, replaced by the WTC):

Waldorf Astoria (We all know the back story here, replaced by the Empire State Building):

Park Avenue Hotel (Replaced by 2 Park Avenue, which I've always been a fan of):

Hotel New Netherland (Replaced by the Sherry Netherlands Hotel):

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    The World and Tribune are beauties and really rounded out Park Row with some glory.

My vote however is for the Savoy. What a gorgeous building and the massing is just perfect. This was replaced by the GM building, am I right?

The city skyline behind the old MSG is incredibly intersting. All gone. Is there a date on that photo? That tower is a gem.
    Correct:

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The original NY Times.

I decided to replaced Manhattan Life with with One Times Square and the Charles Schwab Mansion with the Astor Hotel. There's too many losses for a poll of ten choices.

Random Personality

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    I decided to replaced Manhattan Life with with One Times Square and the Charles Schwab Mansion with the Astor Hotel. There's too many losses for a poll of ten choices.
    Make two threads with polls.

Biggest loss for me is Savoy. Horrible massing for GM and its attempt to recreate 30 rock was abysmal. Terrible job by Stern (I'm assuming hes the architect because his name is on the poster).

Maybe I'll start another thread and poll once this one runs its course, a Part II perhaps. As for the GM Building is was designed by Edward Durrell Stone, I find it somewhat ironic that his General Motors Buildings (a decent but very much inferior product to its predecessor) replaced the Savoy Hotel at the eastern corner of Central Park, and his 2 Columbus Circle, which I happen to think somewhat surprising fits right in with the older building in my list is being replaced by (a decent but very much inferior product to its predecessor) at the western corner of Central Park.

Definitely the World and Tribune building....demolished for ramps for the Brooklyn Bridge. Now that's tragic. Thankfully the Park Row Building wasn't in the path.

Postcard collectors: I'm giving away nine mint B&W postcards of Marilyn Monroe to the first person who wants them. They're worthless, except to send as postcards or hang on your gym locker.

Stern: You wrote "Original MSG" on the voting ballot and the picture label, but technically, it's the 2nd MSG. Please scold me if I'm being petty.

I voted for the 2nd MSG because of that gorgeous tower, the 2nd tallest in the world when it was built -- topped by a spinning copper Roman goddess. Perhaps I'm considering the tower's artistic aspects more than the architecture of the facility as a whole.

Definitely the World and Tribune building....demolished for ramps for the Brooklyn Bridge. Now that's tragic.
    Sounds like Robert Moses was behind that, eh? We all know he was the "real" mayor of NYC from 1950-53, and he may have been close to that for a few years after. But I'm just guessing; does anybody know who was behind tearing down those buildings?

Default More on the 2nd MSG

I'm campaigning for my favorite of the 10 on Stern's ballot with another picture:

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/GON/madison_sq.jpg

Additional pictures and a description:
    http://www.nyc-architecture.com/GON/GON016.htm

From your list, the original MSG.

From my list: World Trade Center

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast