Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: 56 Leonard Street - 57-story tower - by Herzog & de Meuron

a stack of crystalline boxes bearing down on and squeezing a blobby Anish Kapoor sculpture
    sounds promising

The library building is framed out.

Is the unveiling of this building's design scheduled for Sept. 11th? I thought I heard that somewhere.

Default The wait is over

BREAKING NEWS: Early Renders Unveiled

Official Unveiling will be on Monday Sept. 15th.

Washington Post

Olympic Bird's Nest architects design NY high-rise

By ULA ILNYTZKY
    The Associated Press
    Saturday, September 13, 2008; 3:12 PM

In this undated photo provided by architects Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron, an artist's rendering of their planned $650 million, 57-story cantilevered condominium tower that will go up in New York City's trendy Tribeca district is shown. The Swiss architects of the iconic Bird's Nest stadium at the Beijing Olympics will unveil their plans on Monday, September 15, 2008 and construction is scheduled to begin in mid-October. (AP Photo/Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron) (AP)

Enlarge Photo

NEW YORK -- The Swiss architects of the iconic Bird's Nest stadium at the Beijing Olympics are bringing their innovative style to New York City with a translucent glass skyscraper designed to look like houses stacked in the sky.

Architects Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron's $650 million, 57-story condominium featuring dramatic, cantilevered terraces is slated to begin going up in mid-October in lower Manhattan.

It will be their first high-rise commission anywhere in the world. The design is scheduled to be unveiled Monday.

The architects liken their design to "houses stacked in the sky," with each level staggered progressively with different-sized boxes arranged at varying angles to create unique floor plans for each of the 145 apartments.

They said the tower reinvents the classic American skyscraper "as a lacy, pixilated Rubik's Cube." Its concealed framing results in a nearly all-glass structure with cityscape views from virtually every angle.

Herzog said the firm uses "well-known forms and materials in a new way so that they become alive again," just like Andy Warhol "used common pop images to say something new."

The building will feature a massive stainless steel sculpture by Anish Kapoor that will be "playfully squished" into the tower's base as homage to the city's culture, said developer Izak Senbahar of Alexico Group.

It will be the first permanent public artwork in New York City for Kapoor, best known for his enigmatic sculptural forms including "Sky Mirror," a temporary installation at Rockefeller Center, and "Cloud Gate" in Chicago's Millennium Park.

Senbahar said he commissioned Kapoor to create the balloon-shaped form as a permanent site-specific work because "great art and architecture are essential parts of everyday life." The sculpture also articulates the architects' vision of blending the indoors and outdoors.

The building will have an expansive 18-foot-high black granite lobby, a 75-foot pool, outdoor sun deck, library lounge, screening room and fitness center.

The apartments will be offered for $3.5 million to $33 million. The tower is slated to open in 2010.
    Herzog & de Meuron is currently redesigning the Tate Modern in London. The twisted silver beams of its $450 million Bird's Nest stadium became one of the most enduring images of the Olympics.

More Early Renders

Last edited by NYC4Life; September 13th, 2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Corrected URL

Between this and the Gehry tower -- let alone the WTC -- Lower Manhattan will reign supreme among world skylines. This tower is awesome!!

In how many cities can one claim awesome towers by Koolhaas and Herzog being released within days of one another -- not even my beloved London.

I almost forgot the great Van Berkel tower that's rising on B'Way!

Pardon me while I get some hand creme!

PS: With all of these iconic buildings rising, Rosen should be ashamed of constructing a lame box on 5th Ave.!
    Last edited by londonlawyer; September 13th, 2008 at 08:31 PM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Very nice. Met all my expectations. I love it!

For as much as we like to complain about crap that's "developed" in NY, consider the amazing starchitecture that recently has been or will be added to our skyline:

1. Nouvel's MoMA tower;
    2. Foster's 2 WTC;
    3. Roger's 3 WTC;
    4. Gehry's 8 Spruce St tower;
    5. Herzog's Leonard St. tower;
    6. Koolhaas' 22nd St. tower;
    7. Stern's downtown Four Seasons;
    8. The Hearst Tower; and
    9. The FT.

I can't wait for the next cycle when hopefully, we will have several Portzamparc towers as well. Then entities like SOM pull great towers like this out of the hat!
    Last edited by londonlawyer; September 13th, 2008 at 08:56 PM.

Senbahar said he commissioned Kapoor to create the balloon-shaped form as a permanent site-specific work because "great art and architecture are essential parts of everyday life."
    So very true.

This building does more for me than the thought of Sarah Palin in a short dress with no panties.

This will almost be as tall as the NY Times tower (sans the spire of course). This will likely remain the tallest building between Lower Manhattan and Midtown for a very long time.

The gap between the Midtown and Downtown skylines, is certainly getting smaller. In reality though, the two will most likely never meet.

Astonishing.

This building will be infinitely interesting to explore in detail. I would love to see how the structural elements are tied together, because initially this entire building looks fairly complex.

Astonishing it is. I would also wonder about the structural integrity of the tower, given how the units are stacked with some of the edges exposed.

Here's the next rendering:

There is some good stuff in the development pipeline. Another winner here is going up downtown.

Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast