Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I a New Yorker?

The Dude Abides

Default Am I a New Yorker?

Okay, so I've been at college for two years now, and I have a group of friends that I spend most of my time with. Whenever we meet new people and introduce ourselves, they have issues with me describing myself as a New Yorker. You wonder why? Well, here's the background. I was born in New York City, spending the first 14 years of my life living in Queens. When high school started, my family moved to Monmouth county, New Jersey, but I continued to spend the majority of my time in the city. I attended high school in Manhattan, commuting from home, and because of activities at school, spent many a late night, as well as Saturday, in Manhattan as well. But all my friends know I "live" in New Jersey, even though nowadays, for most of the year, I live on campus in North Carolina. So whenever I tell people I'm from New York, they correct me and say, "You're not from New York, you're from Jersey!" Now, I would normally have no problem with this, if I truly grew up in New Jersey, and went to school there, etc. But the fact is, not even most of my friends from high school live in New Jersey, except for a couple. Most live in Manhattan, Westchester, Nassau, etc. Does it seem so ridiculous that I still claim to be a New Yorker?

Architectural Padawan

I say you're a NYer... it's what you feel in your heart that matters. When you are done with school, where do you see yourself moving? Hoboken or The City?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

You list your location as Holmdel, NJ. So the answer is 'no'.

Banned Member

Talking

You are definitely a New Yorker. Next time they tell you that you're not just tell them to "get the f*ck out of your face before you kick their ass to Coney Island!" They won't argue it again.

Talking

You are definitely a New Yorker. It's where you hang out, where your friends are that counts.

Got a driver's license?

The Dude Abides

Yeah...it's Jersey though.

Some of your friends need hobbies.

Or women.

Or women with hobbies.

Anyway, you are a NYer living in NJ. What the hell does it matter? To them or to you?

Next time just say you are Canadian.

Forum Veteran

who cares, with all these people in the city these days from iowa, Indiana and the south, the city does not have the feel it use to, the defination of a New Yorker, is changing. So many native new yorkers are moving away, being replaced by rednecks and farmers, that come here for a few year to get the good old new york job on there resume, then pack up and leave

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    Or women.

Or women with hobbies.

Anyway, you are a NYer living in NJ. What the hell does it matter? To them or to you?

Next time just say you are Canadian.
    Haha, funny you should mention that since this issue most often comes up, like I said, when we meet new people. (That would include women.)

It doesn't really matter to me, I just don't get why it matters to them. I guess they perceive a certain arrogance or superiority among kids from New York, and if I'm not technically one because I live in Jersey, they don't want me pretending to be one. Thanks for all your responses. Now, if I can only get them to stop correcting me when I say "water" or "coffee"...

Piano I always have my out of state of friends correcting me on those words lol.

Wah-ter? Or Wah-Tuh?

Anywho, look at it this way. If you were born in Germany, but moved here when you were 5, you could still say you were "German" and people would not give you a second thought.

If you grew up, for the most part, in NY, then you are a NYer.

I am a Jersey-ite. Born and raised here, but the only thing that gets my hackles up are the misconceptions on both sides of the fence. No NY is not a crime scene with a bunch of rude individuals and no Jersey is not a foreign country with toxic waste dumps next to children's playgrounds.

The Hudson River is not as wide as some people make it to be, and I am quite surprised at the similarities I see between Jersey and NY relative to their respective distances from Manhattan as Ground Central.

SO try not to let it bother you, and try to start speaking with an Indian accent. For some reason, no matter how much people are badgering you about your own accent, when you start with a good Indian accent everybody but the Indians usually start laughing.

For the Indians you need to learn Scottish..
    Last edited by Ninjahedge; May 30th, 2006 at 04:25 PM.

I might as well ask the question, too, even though I think I already know the answer. About me:

1. Have been living in Connecticut and commuting to NY since 1987 for work.
    2. Can't stand Pataki OR Schumer!
    3. Can't stand the rotten roads and the potholes.
    4. Want the Twin Towers back. Taller.
    5. Appreciate the New York minute. Especially when not in New York.
    6. Enjoyed "My Cousin Vinnie."
    7. Big fan of Robert Moses and Raymond Hood.
    8. Member, ADSNY.
    9. Can deliver classic lines such as "what's the story?" and "what's up chief?" with ease.
    10. Know where to get great food in Howard Beach.

So, am I a New Yorker, or what?

Tourist!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast