Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Rest in Peace J.B. Hehman (TLOZ Link5)

In today's Daily News:

Green salute to slain student

Slain NYU student Broderick John Hehman poured his heart out to the WiredNewYork.com Web forum, and now its members want to beautify a Harlem green space in his honor.
    "His death has stunned our online community," said the group administrator. "We are determined to honor his memory and love of New York."
    Working with Bette Midler's New York Restoration Project, the group already has raised $1,000 that will help buy a flowering tree and lots of perennials for a community garden at 149th St. and Broadway.
    The 20-year-old metropolitan studies major known as "J.B." was hit by a Mercedes-Benz the night of April 1 as he tried to escape a mugging by five teenagers on 125th St. in Harlem. Four young teens - including two 13-year-olds - have been charged with second-degree murder.

Donations to the J.B. Hehman Memorial Project should be sent to the New York Restoration Project at 254 W. 31st St., 10th Floor, New York, N.Y. 10001.
    Nancy Dillon

http://www.nydailynews.com/04-14-200...p-345929c.html
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; June 2nd, 2010 at 12:38 AM.

The first person who I have talked from NYC was TLOZ, he gave me really good advices about the city and my stance there. We chatted and were friends but we lost the contact and we didnt meet there in person.
    Today (after read all this sad new) I learn why we should not lose the contact and why we have to talk with our family/friends.
    We will miss you, we will always remember you.

Thank you TLOZ.

(sorry for my english)

This is very, very tragic. So young, with so much potential in his life. He was destined to become something great. Now he is gone, and for what, it just makes me so angry that he lost his life over something ridiculous like this. I wish I could be on the jury of those kids trials, I'd put them away for the rest of their lives, so they know what it's like to lose the opportunities they took away from J.B.

Life is so unpredictable, it's scary at times. RIP buddy, you clearly have made an impact on so many people throughout your young life.

Wasn't sure if I should post this in the remembering thread or here:

I don't know what to say. I feel such strange emotions about TLOZ's death. Perhaps the most prominent one is simple shock.

The idea that someone, whose intelligent and insightful comments I've been reading for the past year and a half, is gone from this world is so strange in my mind.

What makes it strange for me is how up until just over ten days ago he was posting on this website. Up until so recently he was alive.

TLOZ's death makes me more, as cliche as it may sound, concious of our own mortality.

The idea that one can just be walking down a City street one day and end up dead is something we tend to associate with the 70's and the 80's. So when it happens in 2006 I for one get totally and utterly surprised.

TLOZ, what really gets me is the idea that our society will not have someone as intelligent, compassionate (your last action was giving money to the needy) and just plain nice as you to lead us in this century.

I have no doubt you would have further grown into a successful man backed by strong morals once you finished college.

After shock, and then sadness, my next emotion upon hearing the news of TLOZ's death was anger. And I have to admit that I still feel it somewhat. The idea that a gang of teenagers could take the life of such a smart upstanding guy for the goal of stealing some pocket change is just madness. And while people will say, "they're just kids" or "they didn't really kill him", I say to them that at 14 you definitely know right from wrong. And if not, then their parents should be held criminally responsible.

What angers me is that these kids are ignorant of what a bright flame they extinguished from this world.

I am glad to see our garden memorial moving forward -- I'll be sure to donate today.

TLOZ, you'll always be in my thoughts.

^ Moving post, macreator; every word hits home.

Where have I been the past 10 days? I'm in shock. This is the saddest news I have heard this year. I have been on this site for over 3 years and remember his excitement for starting at NYU.

This is something that I will not be able to, nor want to get out of my mind. I am truly moved and sad over this

it is a tragedy !
    i knew him not , but my compassion is at yourself and his parents !

Banned Member

Default Please See Our Jb Memorial Thread

Those expressing condolences are encouraged to read what we are doing to honor TLOZLink5 (J.B. Hehman) and create a memorial to his life and love of New York City. We need donations (no donation is too small or insignificant) and we need volunteers.

We have a restricted forum "TLOZLink5 Project" located here: http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42 that we have opted to restrict at this point as some strategic decision making and project planning is taking place there. Access to this thread is granted by donation. If you have invested in this memorial you have a vote in each component we are are working on. Information on contributing can be found here:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...5&postcount=79

Please see the memorial thread on how to contribute online or via check. If you do make a contribution, please contact us at HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com to notify us. Simply place your username and the contribution amount in the subject line. This allows us to push our contributions received-to-date total higher. We do not mean in anyway to exclude forum members from participating in this wonderful and quickly building tribute. We simply wish to create extra incentive for individual giving. All contributions are 100% tax-deuctible.

Teens charged in death of NYU student to be tried as juveniles
    By SAMUEL MAULL
    Associated Press Writer

April 14, 2006, 6:11 PM EDT

NEW YORK -- Four teenagers who reportedly laughed after chasing a New York University student into the path of a car that killed him will be charged as juveniles in Family Court, a prosecutor announced Friday.

Assistant District Attorney Joel Seidemann said the grand jury could not legally charge the two 15-year-olds and two 13-year-olds as adults with felony murder in the death of Broderick Hehman, so they sent the case to Manhattan's Family Court.

The effect of the transfer is that the teens, who faced nine years to life in prison if they had been convicted as adults, now face a maximum initial sentence of five years "restrictive placement" if convicted in Family Court, said Larry Busching, head of the city Law Department's Family Court Division.

The youths could be held until they are 21 if the Office for Family and Children's Services applies for periodic extensions, Busching said. For less serious crimes, he said, a youth would be in custody for 18 months at a youth facility.

Seidemann, in Manhattan Criminal Court to announce the grand jury's action, said evidence showed that the teens approached Hehman, put him in a bear hug and punched him in the head while trying to rob him.

Hehman, 20, broke free, but the teens converged on him from two sides, chasing him into the street. He was struck by a car at around 8:30 p.m. on April 1 on 125th Street between Park and Lexington avenues near the Harlem Metro-North station.

"He was thrown into the air and his head smashed into the windshield," Seidemann said. "The windshield shattered and he fell into the road. They didn't call an ambulance. They didn't call for help. Rather, they stood on the street corner and laughed as he lay in the road."

Hehman suffered fractures at the base and on the side of his skull. He died of a brain hemorrhage a few days later at Harlem Hospital.

The four defendants, jailed without bail, are Hassan Mayfield and Andre Johnson, both 15, and Humberto Guzman and Denzell Fell, both 13. After their arrests April 8, all made statements to police admitting that they had intended to rob Hehman.

Authorities have said they are being charged with second-degree murder and second-degree attempted murder.

Felony murder is a slaying committed by a defendant during the commission of another serious crime. But Seidemann said a "quirk" in state law bars prosecution of 13-year-olds for felony murder in any circumstance, and youths under 16 may not be charged with felony murder if the other crime _ in this case, the robbery _ was attempted but not completed.

Since the robbery of Hehman was never completed because he broke free and ran, the 15-year-olds cannot be tried as adults with felony murder, Seidemann explained.

Lawyers for all four teens said their clients would be vindicated.

Nancy Ginsburg, a Legal Aid Society lawyer for Guzman, objected to Seidemann's use of the word "quirk," saying state legislators recognized that a teen's thought processes are different from those of an adult.

Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...gion-apnewyork

Banned Member

I'm angry at what happened, but I believe that kids - even teens these ages can turn their lives around with strong and effective rehab. They need to be punished and we must have justice. I am just keeping keenly aware that nothing will bring TLOZ back and we don't need to advocate further destruction from this event. Punish them, educate them and help them. But, if the are unrepentent and rebellious to the process, come down very hard on them. We must not tolerate violence - but we must not be violent and cold ourselves in our justice.

Banned Member

I understand what you are saying completely. I am just fighting those feelings and urges. The crime just seems so senseless. I need to follow the trial closely. The testimony and reactions will really determine my ultimate feelings.

You did manage to snap me back to reality.

BrooklynRider, we were posting at around the same time. My comment was not directed at you. PLease do not hold my bitterness and anger against me. I have to work through this. We can disagree on what punishment is merited and still come together in order to honor JB and his values.

Banned Member

Smile

Not at all. I like your feisty spirit and our politics are similar!

Okay - I'm supposed to be on vacation and my party is at the bar. I'll check in later to see if we have more reports of contributions. Remember to email us at HehmanMemorialFund@Hotmail.com if you contribute to our memorial project.

Bless you for what you have done in getting us organized. We were all stunned and hurt, but you were able to snap into action and do something positive. Thank you so much, on behalf of the whole community here.

I hope you are able to find some small peace on your vacation, you certainly deserve it.

Banned Member

Smile

I am plugged into this totally and it feels great. Visit the TLOZ Project forums and you will see a hive of activity. I may have started it, but this is definitely a big, beautiful commmunity effort.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast