Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tipping in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by DublinDude View Post
    wow, 20% is a bit steep especially for taxi drivers!
    How did you come to this conclusion? Front Porch is correct- cab drivers aren't rich, and that 20% tip helps to supplement a pretty meager income in one of the world's most expensive cities.

The 20% tip is standard for servers in sit-down restaurants, as well. If you think that's expensive, you need to learn to factor in the cost before you decide where you're going to eat.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

DD, you do not tip at places like McDonald's or Starbucks. You should only tip at restaurants where there is someone that provides service and waits on you.

Why would you think this would be any different here than it is in Europe?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Because you don't really tip in Europe.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I was aware of that. I just don't get why he couldn't differentiate between a regular sit-down restaurant versus fast food places and coffee shops.

There are places and situations you tip and others you don't. It's not like in his own words, "you tip every person you pass on the street over there."

I wasn't going to spell this out but I think he plans to be cheap and resents the American custom of tipping.

I don't think anyone should be compelled to tip just because that is what many folks do.

Tipping becomes extortion when coerced.

Mandated tipping = a tax of sorts.

If the product is so worthy then why not just up the price?

I do agree that good personal service should be rewarded.

Commonplace service on the other hand ...

This is something I posted in 2007 on yet another thread about Tipping in New York.

Tipping in NYC is difficult for Europeans who are used to a more reasonable 10%. I warned some people I know (about six of them) who were visiting NYC of what they would be expected to tip, but they were not prepared for what happened to them in Smith and Wollensky's restaurant.
    They ran up quite a sizeable bill for their meal including a couple of bottles of Champagne. When they paid the bill they chipped in with the tip and I suppose some of them did not put in their fair share.
    They seemed surprised when the waiter threw the tip back on the table and said. "I think you need this more than I do".

Me. I am just happy that I was not with them.

So DD, you will have to be thick skinned if you intend to tip under the going rate.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    I was aware of that. I just don't get why he couldn't differentiate between a regular sit-down restaurant versus fast food places and coffee shops.

There are places and situations you tip and others you don't. It's not like in his own words, "you tip every person you pass on the street over there."
    Well it seems you guys tip alot more people than we do here in Ireland! We tip if we feel the person deserves it rather than tipping because thats what we are supposed to do! We don't always tip taxi drivers (although some people do).

Also, there is no fixed rate of tip!! Thats down to the discretion of the customer. Generally, in restaurants most people tip unless the service was appalling but I believe its usually in or around 10%.

Again, I have no problem tipping!

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    I wasn't going to spell this out but I think he plans to be cheap and resents the American custom of tipping.
    If you read my original post you will see that I did say that it wasn't that I didn't want to tip! I was merely questioning how much is appropriate and who do I tip and who don't I.

The confusion I have with counter staff comes from a situation I had over there a few years ago, I was in a shop buying a mobile phone cover and had a brief friendly chat with the guy behind the counter! However, after I paid him and was leaving he gave me a rather strange look. It only occurred to me later that day that he might have been expecting a tip??? Hence my question here!
    Last edited by DublinDude; November 6th, 2008 at 05:28 AM.

Like I said in post #2, one does not tip store clerks. Some people will give a favorite clerk a gift at Christmas time, but that's rare.

The whole tip thing has come about due to the omission of service staff from the minimum wage requirements.

In short, they get paid squat.

So, in the US, it is expected to tip for services like wait staff.

The problem is, they have been obnoxious with this, expecting a tip no matter what, even making it mandatory on larger parties of people (Req'd 18% at most places for parties of 6 or more).

While I can understand where they are coming from, it is also irritating that something like a "gratuity" is mandatory no matter how thankful you aren't.....

While I'm not crazy about it, I understand the reasoning behind the mandatory gratuity for large parties. I have always tried to leave 'more than my share' at this type of function and quite often the voluntary tip amount for all involved comes in at less than 15% of the pre tax total, similar to the earlier steak house story.

Tip if you get good service.

Do not if you do not, but be sure to explain to the server why.

Eg, taxi driver goes the wrong way when you gave perfectly understandable directions/address because he or she couldnt be bothered to understand English - in that example dont bother tipping.

If you are rich beyond dreams, tip all you want. Especially me.

merged threads
    Last edited by NYatKNIGHT; February 13th, 2009 at 08:24 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345