Thread: Best Internet Providers in New York

Default Best Internet Providers in New York

Help me please.
    My family will go living to New York soon, and i want to know what are the best internet providers there to stay in touch. (ADSL, Cable prices)

Thank you very much

Forum Veteran

Cable is $45/month (with cable TV), $60 alone - Time Warner Cable in Manhattan

DSL is $30/month - Verizon in Manhattan

Same download speeds for both standard packages, DSL supposedly has better upload speeds.

Default Thank you for your answer

So ADSL is better !

For $30/month what speed (kb/sec) i'll receive approximately :?:

Forum Veteran

I had dsl for a few weeks and it was unbearably slow. Cable and dsl might have the same advertised speeds, but what you actually get varies. I was far away from the dsl "switchbox", as verizon said, but they didn't make me pay for the crappy service. I would ask people who live near you, and ideally your neighbors (a scary proposition in nyc, I know, but you'd survive)

There are multiple DSL and cable modem providers in NYC, and which ones are available depends on which borough and often which building one lives in. There's a welcome speed competition between DSL and cable now underway. Within the past week, Time Warner Cable has raised its standard DL speed to 5000K and its premium-package speed to 8000K (faster than any standard DSL rate that I've heard of), and RCN Cable (not widely available) offers an even faster deal.

I have the TWC standard package, and this is what the "Speakeasy" speed meter (http://nyc.speakeasy.net/) shows for me this afternoon:

2004-12-21 12:06:35 EST: 4770 / 362
    Your download speed : 4885413 bps, or 4770 kbps.
    A 596.3 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 371448 bps, or 362 kbps.

Banned Member

To the best of my knowledge, DSL is not available in my neighborhood (Park Slope, Brooklyn). Time Warner Road Runner is around $50/month. I use a regular dedicated phone line. It teaches me patience.

Wherever Time Warner offers cable service, you should also be able to get EarthLink broadband for $41.95 per month.

That offer is available even to those customers not subscribing to Time Warner Cable, but whose apartments are wired for cable.

WoW! Internet in NY is exspensive! Dont you guys have AOl for 25 dollars? or People PC for 10.00? Or Net Zero for 10.00?

And you said that dsl in new york is expensive? I live in Spain and I pay 45 € (60$) for a 512/128 kbs coneccion. And we have this now, because there're a bit competence with other two or three companies. But three or four months ago we only had 216/128 for the same price ... and out "economic level" is lower than your.
    I'm sad because I can't have a fast coneccion... I'm waiting to go to New york on July to can connect (at least one day) with a fast dsl.
    Bye

I get robbed by time warner. I live downtown and pay $126/ a month for 1 digital cable box with all the channels and road runner cable modem.
    The cable modem has ultra fast speeds. But the speed also depends on how many people in your bldg are using the signal also.

I can't wait to get rid of time warner they are ripping me off so bad.
    I'm just lazy to call them and cancel.

Default Thanks,

now i have an idea about I-net in NY

Quote Originally Posted by ILUVNYC
    WoW! Internet in NY is exspensive! Dont you guys have AOl for 25 dollars? or People PC for 10.00? Or Net Zero for 10.00?
    Those are all dial-up. Painfully slow connections, one tenth the speed of broadband.

Unless a person is an imbecile or a 6-year old, I don't understand why anyone still pays $25 per month for AOL, when the other choices are just as "fast" and cost less than half as much.

Banned Member

I had someone tell me that the cable boxes and remotes are only needed if you are going to desire Pay-Per-View. I have two boxes and standard service for 2 TV's - $62/month.

Forum Veteran

Ehhh...I have AOL. My dad doesn't understand the virtues of paying a little bit more for a better connection.

I have AOL as well.