Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Nascar Considers Staten Island Speedway

Exclamation SINCH Press release

Staten Island NASCAR Hopefuls (SINCH), of course, are disappointed by Councilman Mike McMahon’s bowing to pressure from the anti-track element and admitting that he will not support International Speedway Corporation’s proposal for a racing, retail, and wetlands preserve project when it comes up for a vote in the City Council next year.

Traffic is a fact of life on Staten Island and practically in every other medium-sized city in America. Having never experienced “managed traffic” we understand why many Islanders have expressed concerns about its feasibility. Closing the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge for the marathon or a level for the bike tour, half a bridge for maintenance, or Forest Avenue for a parade is not managing traffic. That sort of thing just stops traffic altogether.

The ISC proposal includes a meticulous traffic plan that establishes a base-line “optimal flow” for our highways and employs modern communications, some available for only the last few years, to maintain it. Actively controlling system loads and monitoring flows and adjusting feeds is a foreign concept to most of us, but it works. Broadcast traffic forecasts will affect the number of vehicles using the highways during the hours of concern. Hands-on traffic analysts will open and close access routes and stand-by tow trucks will dispatch any minor accidents to optimize a clog-free traffic stream.

We are sorry to see a revitalizing use for an old industrial site summarily dismissed without input from the citizenry solely because our Councilmen, none of them engineers or scientists, cannot comprehend the traffic plan. As industry abandons Staten Island, leaving behind broken buildings and a scarred landscape, we are disappointed that our elected leaders don’t appreciate the speedy recovery that creative private-money ventures might bring to those locations. The message has been sent that Staten Island shuns investment and that makes this a sad day for us all.

Exclamation Scruffy88

You should note that splicing has been an anti-track activist for a long time and his view is at best slanted...

At the meeting in question, Mr. 47% (as we now call Lanza based on his meeting attendance for his part-time job as City Councilman) berated the union workers and told them they had crappy, temporary jobs. Then when a union business agent rose to object he turned away from him at which point the gentleman pulled Lanza by his shoulder closer to him and bent to speak into the microphone so that he could be heard. Lanza took the opportunity to further antagonize the crowd by calling the now-angry business agent "the face of NASCAR" and asked "Do you want 80,000 people like THIS coming here?" Of course, at that point, anti-trackers were yelling in agreement and pro-trackers were yelling in protest.

Another councilman, Mike McMahon, calmed the crowd down and the meeting started to progress again.

Jimmy Oddo, Lanza's political pal from the Republican zone south of the expressway made some stupid comments that some found offensive and further antagonized the crowd. Lanza took to the microphone yet again and continued his sarcastic, anti-union, anti-track remarks. The chairman of the planning committee, Robert Dobruskin, went to him and tried to take the microphone back but Lanza refused to hand it over.

Soon after , the public safety officer in charge went on stage and told the chairman that the meeting was over. Lanza succeeded, facing huge support for the track project, in scuttling the meeting and turning into an "all about me" press conference.

That meeting was held so that the CITIZENS of Staten Island could voice concerns and make statements in support of the track. Not one CITIZEN had a chance to speak thanks to Oddo and Lanza. They sank the meeting before it started and that cannot be repeated often enough.

Both of those goons are a DISGRACE to Staten Island.

Clearly the supporters of the NASCAR venture mis-played their hand...

You can't cram something like this down the throats of residents.

With a bit more savvy perhaps the supporters would have been able to push this questionably beneficial project forward.

As it now stands: Out of Gas

Thank god. My friend on Staten Island will be happy to hear that she has been spared lol.

Default SIFirstFan & ISC

My view is hardly slanted. I do not hide the fact that I oppose the plans for the track based on a greatly flawed plan presented by the ISC.

SIFirstFan is a track proponent and the spokesman for a group named Staten Island NASCAR Hopefuls (SINCH). He was the recipient of a paid vacation by ISC, his group has hosted parties sponsored by ISC, and ISC has provided merchandise to it's members.
    SIFirstFan is also a board member of the ONLY civic association here on SI to vote to favor a track.
    To say that MY view is slanted is ridiculous when viewed in this light.

With regards to the scoping hearing, Councilman Lanza was in rightful possession on the mic. His words could certainly have been viewed as inflamatory by some. But, they were only words. It was a public forum where everyone had the right to say whatever he or she desired on the topic. Councilman Lanza was met with hostility and violence because some didn't like what he had to say. For SIFirstFan to place the blame on our elected officials is absurd and just another example of the pro-track attitude that we've faced here on SI.

Thumbs up Bayonne Spared!

Staten Island NASCAR track plan hitting wall

Friday, May 12, 2006
    By STEVEN LEMONGELLO
    JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Plans to build an 80,000-seat NASCAR track on the west shore of Staten Island are looking increasingly bleak after the Island's three City Council members all announced their opposition.

Some Bayonne residents and city officials have expressed concern about the proposed track in the past, saying they fear a dramatic increase in traffic on Route 440 and the Bayonne Bridge.

In fact, it was traffic that convinced a city councilman from Staten Island to vote against the project.

"We sat there on the (Goethals Bridge) ramp literally for 45 minutes looking right at the NASCAR track site. Now you can't tell me that traffic is going to go away because NASCAR says it's going to go away," said Michael McMahon, who represents Staten Island's North Shore.

"I think that was certainly, for me, a very important turning point - or it just reminded me of what I've known all along," he said.

"It was always clear to me that the issue of traffic that paralyzes our roadways had to be addressed . That was never accomplished.

"Moreover, the presence of NASCAR would only worsen our dire traffic conditions."

McMahon joins City Council members James Oddo and Andrew Lanza, who were already opposed to the project.

"It's over," Oddo said. "Now that there's a completely united front, it's over."

Well there goes the chances of having Nascar in NYC. Let that be a lesson to more sports complexes that they are not welcome in NYC. Well maybe they should think of NJ?

Default Video Of Incident

Here's some decent video footage from NY1 of the incident that occurred at the Staten Island NASCAR hearing:

http://real.ny1.com:8080/ramgen/real...28_180135hi.rm

Default go NASCAR !!

I live in staten island and have seen it grow... but it's never been able to be truly independent in an economical sense... I am not saying that we should develop all of the greenbelt or remove the beauty of greenery... but the land in question IS known as the dump... it was the worlds largest landfill till they closed it and also a toxic place to visit. (in 2000 there was some type of ecological cleanup or something) and the mashy / swampy area is unusable and i remember my throat burning while driving by that area because of the landfill "scent" that permeated the area. It would be a great thing to have a private company spend their money (not our tax money) on developing / cleaning up this land and helping Staten Island reclaim some of this area for public use. All growth requires change...

Default Always welcome supporters

We're not going away just because some political machine decided early on that they didn't much care for NASCAR...

Support change and progress, and the renewal of Staten Island's old industrial sites...

Join Staten Island NASCAR Hopefuls: www.si4nascar.com

We are probably the most fun and politically-charged organization you'll find and we have some very high-minded principles and plan to fully defend our right as citizens to be heard and particpate in the process.

Nascar does not belong in NY period. Nobody in NY cares or watches Nascar.

Just go away.

Now an F1 track now THAT I would support.

Quote Originally Posted by SIFirstFan
    We're not going away just because some political machine decided early on that they didn't much care for NASCAR...

Support change and progress, and the renewal of Staten Island's old industrial sites...

Join Staten Island NASCAR Hopefuls: www.si4nascar.com

We are probably the most fun and politically-charged organization you'll find and we have some very high-minded principles and plan to fully defend our right as citizens to be heard and particpate in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by hatemacs
    I live in staten island and have seen it grow... but it's never been able to be truly independent in an economical sense... I am not saying that we should develop all of the greenbelt or remove the beauty of greenery... but the land in question IS known as the dump... it was the worlds largest landfill till they closed it and also a toxic place to visit. (in 2000 there was some type of ecological cleanup or something) and the mashy / swampy area is unusable and i remember my throat burning while driving by that area because of the landfill "scent" that permeated the area. It would be a great thing to have a private company spend their money (not our tax money) on developing / cleaning up this land and helping Staten Island reclaim some of this area for public use. All growth requires change...
    The proposed track will not be located at Fresh Kills Landfill.
    Although, the property is contaminated and is currently being cleaned on GATX's tab - the former owner that's responsible for the problems.

The Fresh Kills Landfill is to become a massive park.

Default Welcome to the forum, SIFirstFan....

I strongly suspect that there is at least one pro track group on Staten Island that is deliberately attempting to spread dis-information about this track project.
    This attempt has included the idea that something worse than a racetrack will come to the site, which has been contradicted in print. Also, the notion that the track will bring a large economic windfall, when it is unclear what portion of the projected tax revenue Staten Island will get.

Now, the emphasis is on bashing local elected leaders, by claiming they started a disturbance that I, who attended the meeting, believe was largely the fault of supporters welcomed by ISC.

They also parrot the notion that Councilmember Andrew Lanza's record is poor, which flies in the face of fact. I refer to Mr. Lanza's popularity with voters, and his recent endorsement for state senate from the Staten Island Republican Party.

The Staten Island NASCAR stadium
    would be similar in scope to the
    Richmond International Speedway
    in Virginia.

RACEWAY YIELDS ON PARKING

By RICH CALDER
    August 28, 2006

Facing a road filled with potholes, the developer seeking to build an 82,500-seat NASCAR raceway on Staten Island is revising plans in a bid to limit traffic impact on the borough's already jammed highways.

Michael Printup, project manager of the Daytona, Fla.-based International Speedway Corp., said the company "would love" to reduce the number of parking spots for raceway events from the proposed 8,400 to 1,000 and is "confident" it could get it at least below 5,000.

"Our goal is to get as many people coming here by bus and ferry as possible," Printup told The Post, adding that the delayed $600 million project won't be completed until at least 2011.

Copyright 2006 NYP Holdings, Inc.

I personally don't think Nascar will do well in either NJ or NYC. I just get that feeling.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast