Thread: Driving from Florida to NYC

Default Driving from Florida to NYC

I am driving from Orlando, FL to NYC on january.
    How is the drive from fl to ny ? How long will it take ?
    are the highways safe ?
    has anyone here ever done that ?
    I am leaving on saturday morning (like at 6am) planning on getting to NYC sunday night, am I dreaming or is it possible ?
    I am planning on stopping half way to spend the night, where should I stop ? Where should I make stops throughout the trip to see something that I shouldn't miss,...like a landmark, a interesting town, etc...?
    Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

I've driven that a lot - one word: BORING. That is, if you use I-95, which is easily the fastest, safest route. It's about 17 hours driving time from Orlando. On I-95, there isn't much to see along the way unless you actually drive through Washington which adds time. You can see Philadelphia if you use 95 instead of the NJ Turnpike, that also adds a little time. And because of the signs, it's hard to avoid a stop at South of the Border (NC/SC border), though it's a cheesy tourist trap (but if you're going to stop anyway, why not). The trip's half-way point is in North Carolina somewhere (like Rocky Mount), but if you're leaving that early on Saturday you could get much closer and make an easy second day trip. There are lots of great little towns just off the highway, it all depends on how much time you have.

There is another way to go - head towards Norfolk and go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-tunnel, then up the Delmarva peninsula on Hwy. 13. It might add a couple of hours, but it's more interesting. In January there will be no beach traffic, so you'd make good time. Oh, and no radar detectors in Virginia. Listen to AM 880 or 1010 for New York traffic - find out if one tunnel is a traffic jam before you exit off the NJ Turnpike.

Forum Veteran

My grandparents drive everywhere they go, including when they go to Florida for the winter and visit us in New York in June. So if that gives you an idea of how many people do it, as well as how often. Keep in mind it could take in excess of 10 or 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    My grandparents drive everywhere they go, including when they go to Florida for the winter and visit us in New York in June. So if that gives you an idea of how many people do it, as well as how often. Keep in mind it could take in excess of 10 or 12 hours.
    10 to 12 hours ? Some people told me 20....24.....17...30....

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT
    I've driven that a lot - one word: BORING. That is, if you use I-95, which is easily the fastest, safest route. It's about 17 hours driving time from Orlando. On I-95, there isn't much to see along the way unless you actually drive through Washington which adds time. You can see Philadelphia if you use 95 instead of the NJ Turnpike, that also adds a little time. And because of the signs, it's hard to avoid a stop at South of the Border (NC/SC border), though it's a cheesy tourist trap (but if you're going to stop anyway, why not). The trip's half-way point is in North Carolina somewhere (like Rocky Mount), but if you're leaving that early on Saturday you could get much closer and make an easy second day trip. There are lots of great little towns just off the highway, it all depends on how much time you have.

There is another way to go - head towards Norfolk and go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-tunnel, then up the Delmarva peninsula on Hwy. 13. It might add a couple of hours, but it's more interesting. In January there will be no beach traffic, so you'd make good time. Oh, and no radar detectors in Virginia. Listen to AM 880 or 1010 for New York traffic - find out if one tunnel is a traffic jam before you exit off the NJ Turnpike.

Boring, huh ? LOL...I will have my grandma, my sister and my mom with me. I know what you are thinking....a lonely guy traveling for 2 days with 3 women in the car, I know I probably will go crazy, but it is worth a shot. LOL.... They are the funniest people on this planet, especially when my grandma starts talking how she met my grandfather, how their first time was... LMAO.... she is very very GRAPHIC. lol....

17 hours only ? OK so do you think I should go all the way to NY on saturday, or do you think we should stop ? I personally think we should stop because 17 hours driving is way too much. Especially 'cuz I plan to stop for breakfast and then somewhere in northen Ga. for lunch...plus we have to stop to use bathrooms and I am sure you know how ladies have to stop every 50 miles, lol.

What is so special about the South of the Border ?

I've had some people telling me to stop and spend the night in northern Virginia. what do you think ? How many hours from Orlando to north Va. ?I want somewhere where I can find a cheap hotel just for the night, and so that sunday morning we can get back on the road.

10 -12 hours>?...

NO WAY!!!

I've driven it many times, the best I ever did with a partner driving straight no stopping except for gas averaging about 80 MPH the whole way it took 15 hours from Central New Jersey to Ft.Lauderdale.

It took me 5 hours to drive to Richmond Virginia, remember the States of Virginia and North Carolina are HUGE!!!!

Next time you go try the Auto Train, the best way from the North East to Florida.

http://amtrak.com/trains/autotrain.html

Your goal of seeing things is at variance with your goal of driving fast.

Here are three interesting towns off I-95:

Savannah, GA: a short detour off I-95. Oglethorpe's city plan, with its many lush squares is a masterpiece of urban design, and Savannah abounds with beautiful buildings, especially of the Greek Revival. The Riverfront is raffish and full of atmospheric dives in ancient stone cotton warehouses. Spanish Moss, Southern belles and good restaurants.

Charleston, SC: a bit of a detour off I-95, but a rewarding one. Charleston is well-preserved, full of interesting old architecture, has a nice waterfront (the Battery), a restored (slave) Market and wonderful, dense urban residential neighborhoods for rich folk, who don't seem to mind minuscule yards: they make them lush to compensate for their size. Spanish Moss, Southern belles and good restaurants.

New Castle, Delaware: a little-known gem just off I-95, immediately before the Delaware Bridge. A tiny colonial town of diminutive rowhouses, a waterfront park, a great view of the Delaware Bridge(s) and, set in an ancient graveyard, a dynamite Colonial church with a barrel vault and a brick floor set in sand. One really good restaurant.

Almost all motels at Interstate exits are cheap until you get to Richmond.

Almost all motels at Interstate exits are cheap until you get to Richmond.

Sorry; duplicate post. How do you delete a post?

Those are nice. Also consider, once you get farther north, Richmond, Washington, Baltimore, and Philadelphia are all worth stopping at if you haven't seen them yet. They're all about 1-3 hours apart on 95. Pick one, if you like, to recharge before the final stretch into NYC, which will have plenty of tolls and aggravation. I have family in North Carolina, so that's what I do on my way back.