View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.18%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.80%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

47 24.61%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.52%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.90%
Page 216 of 402 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217218219220226266316 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,240 of 6017

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

The 1WTC spire has been like that for a while.

I like:
    That the Church St Towers don't overwhelm the basic deign of Tower 1,
    Foster's great solution to the very odd site of his building.
    That most of the buildings have flat roofs.
    They keep a simlar pallete of colors and materials, yet all remain very distinct.
    That they have elevations for all the buildings so heights can be easily assertained.
    No crazy curved or angles that look stupid and are insanely hard to model.
    All buildings connect to the concourse below, making a physcially integrated World Trade Center and not just a bunch of buildings that sorta look alike.

I dislike:
    4WTC is bland as hell. It works for 7WTC because it's alone right now and will be complete overshadowed in the future. 4WT will be more prominent. But It's not bad, just bland.
    There doesn't seem to be a lot of groud level retail.
    They could be taller, but I'll taken them as is.
    Last edited by STR; September 7th, 2006 at 11:44 AM.

Banned Member

Looks like it will have the largest floor plates of any of the buildings - unless I am seeing a skewered perspective.

If Maki's tower is not a prelimanery render than I'm glad it won't break 1000ft. We don't need the tallest box in Lower Manhattan.

Default Big ugly joke

What a load of crap. These designs, this "master plan," makes a mockery of the initial design competetion. 4 Architects more concerned with their own egos then working together and doing something that is bigger then they are. Libeskind who?

Everything that the initial design competition represented is officially dead.

They look like abunch of mismatched crystal fireplace nicknacks....

I admit I have a problem

finally, a plan that's worthy of chicago -- er, i mean new york.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Libeskind who?
    Exactly.

You couldn't be further from the truth. Everything is where the master plan specified. Except the Freedom Tower had to be moved in from West St.

A section attached below of this overview \/ showing the relation of the buildings to the site ...

WTC Site Plan with Text (Credit: Foster and Partners)

Huge image: http://www.wtc.com/download.aspx?id=199-w

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	060907_Entire Site_Birds Eye_02.JPG 
Views:	688 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	2337  

What a load of crap. These designs, this "master plan," makes a mockery of the initial design competetion. 4 Architects more concerned with their own egos then working together and doing something that is bigger then they are. Libeskind who?

Who cares about the 'design competition'? We have tall, quality buildings. Whether they match some 5 year old's proposal, or a middle-aged pretensious, bespectacled man acting like a 5 year old, is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    They look like abunch of mismatched crystal fireplace nicknacks....
    Ditto.

The designs for towers 2, 3, and 4 in the initial design a few years ago were pretty much just placeholders. Like NYguy said, the layout of the site is very similar to the layout proposed in the design competition.
    Last edited by TimmyG; September 7th, 2006 at 12:29 PM. Reason: idiotic spelleng errors

With all this new glory rising up in the area what are they going to do now with that ugly old 60s POS that rises behind Century 21?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Times View Post
    If these buildings form any kind of ensemble with the Freedom Tower — Tower 1, by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill of New York — , it would probably be a jazz quartet....the intended spiraling effect may be lost on the casual viewer because the buildings do not appear at first glance to be parts of a unified whole. Instead, it may look like an instance of urban randomness.
    While they make look random and haphasard viewing these from the area of the WTC site, I like how they look on the skyline. Although some will always want the bold boxiness of the Twins, I think the variety in peaks that will be seen from various viewpoints will make seeing them on the skyline more exciting.

The upper part of the facade inclines toward the towers to the north and is meant as a unifying gesture.
    Doesn't translate, at least not in the renderings. The problem is that Maki's base is on the east side, but Roger's is on the west.

Banned Member

I'd like a rendering from the Brooklyn Bridge as well as Midtown. I'm curious about how Foster's tower plays in the skyling from behind.

Also, it seems all of these exceed Ratner's Beekman Tower. So, the claim that it will 2nd tallest is no longer true.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Has the memorial crept even further west? It seems like it cuts in a good amount to where West St. originally ran.