Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Potential new large tower in Midtown (Roosevelt Hotel Site)

If THAT building, with THOSE incredible interiors is torn down, I will lose all faith in the future of this city. How revolting to think that this is what we have come to.
    I hope the Pakistanis don't sell, and if they do that it is to someone that is actually a human being and not one of these destructive wolves we call developers nowadays. Tearing this down to put up a glass tower with cardboard interiors is a f88cking disgrace and I don't care how tall it would be.

It's a short, simple form and it'll only take a few minutes of your time. Just print it out, fill out some information and then send it out. Easy as 1, 2, 3.
    Just did this, but will it carry any weight coming from (way) out of state?
    Last edited by ablarc; December 29th, 2007 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Removed direct preceding post.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

It's hard to say. While they don't mention anything about restricting the petition process to only city residents, you'd have to think that it does have some influence, considering how the LPC seems to respond well only when there is heavy public (community) pressure.

Nevertheless, since it doesn't take much effort, I don't think it hurts to give it a try anyway. I also believe that, regardless of where the pressure comes from, as long as they are flooded with requests for a certain building, you stand a better chance of getting their attention. That's why others here have to help out also.

By the way, as evidence that this petitioning does work, earlier this year, when there was word that the Lord & Taylor building might be on the chopping block, we did the same thing and lo and behold a few months ago, we find out that building will finally get landmarked so I know it does work.

Thanks to you ablarc and anyone else who might have also sent in the form.

Thank you antinimby for providing the information and link. I sent in a "Request for Evaluation" form and will get other people I know to do so as well. It certainly can't hurt. Great pictures of the building, which appears to be in beautiful condition (unlink the Pennsylvania) are available on the hotel's website.
    http://www.theroosevelthotel.com/

Wouldn't it be a good idea for us lovers of NY buildings to identify buildings that we love, that are not landmarked and are not threatened with demolition? The least we could do is bring such buildings to the attention of the LPC while there's ample time, instead of a last ditch effort which always seems to end unhappily. A wave of evaluation requests backing one particular building may get our voices heard once in a while. Would anybody be interested in such an endeavor?

Most definitely!

Can a sticky thread be opened for this? Specifically for people who want to identify buildings and combine our efforts on them.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I will try.

Edit - Mission accomplished. If y'all will PM me with thread titles and post #'s I will move any other info on petitions for other buildings into our new sticky.
    Last edited by stache; December 29th, 2007 at 06:28 PM.

I received a response this morning in reference to the evaluation request form I submitted sometime last year for the Roosevelt Hotel. Does this mean things are going in the right direction, or is it just a standard issue response?

It reads:
    In response to the information you submitted concerning the property referenced above, a senior staff committee of the LPC has reviewed the property for consideration as a potential individual landmark. The property referenced above will be presented for further discussion to the Commissioners, who will determine whether to calender a designation hearing for this property.
    At this time, the interior rooms of the property will not be recommended to the full Commission for further considerion as a NYC interior landmark. The decision not to recommend further consideration is based on the current priorities. This decision could be reconsidered at a later date should additional information about the property's significance become available.
    We want to thank you for your interest in histric preservation and in the work of the LPC.

Sincerely,
    Mary Beth Betts

That sounds like they actually thought about your proposal. The responses I get are typically more boilerplate.

^Kudos for getting in touch with them. Interior definitely deserves landmarking:

There was a plan a few years back to tear down the hotel to build a tower with a Nordstrom in the podium.
    Surprisingly SOM designed a 670' BOX. Now with the upcoming upzoning on hand, expect a new proposal for an even bigger box in a few years.

Massforma

http://massforma.com/arch/nordstrom-tower/#panel-1

Alfred Huang was the Senior Designer responsible for the schematic design and planning for the project. This mixed use proposal was an attempt to bring retail giant Nordstrom into Midtown Manhattan. Situated on the prominent retail corridor of Madison Avenue, the the seven story podium animates the streetscape, adding 280,000 square feet (26,000 square meters) of exciting retail opportunities. The project takes full advantage of the zoning envelope as it rises to 670 feet (200 meters) above the retail podium with typical office floors at 22,500 square feet (2,100 square meters). The design accounts for existing MTA Metro North railroad underground by offsetting tower infrastructure and generating a dynamic interlocking of programs and services.

Alfred Huang designed the project in 2008 while employed with Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP.

Images by Philip Michael Brown Studio
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2587885604_fc4a023c50_o.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	16200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roosevelt Hotel NY - lobby2.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	16203  

Thank goodness that tragedy was averted.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

... the the seven story podium animates the streetscape, adding 280,000 square feet (26,000 square meters) of exciting retail opportunities.
    Really? REALLY???

Looks more like Corporate Hell to me.

Way too much Kool Aid at SOM and elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

The Roosevelt has so much character at the base. I would hate to see it go.

Any updates on this? Are there still plans for this site? Did the LPC ever make a determination?

Any mullah that razes this tower warrants torture by the Taliban.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast