Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size of New York Compared to London?

Default Size of New York Compared to London?

I live in London and have been to New York, I was wondering if anyone knew the size difference, obvioulsy New York is higher populated but what is larger.

When i say New York I dont just mean manhattan island or bronx, queens and brooklyn, im talking about the whole of New York as in Albany etc. And London is anything within the M25, so does anyone know?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default New York State is 54475 square miles.

Greater London covers an area of 609 square miles. (From Wikipedia).

and New York

This should help you, no1.

London

New York

New york state-54,475 square miles

These things are hard to assess, no1.

Most common measure is city limit population, by which measure New York is less than 10% bigger, at a bit over 8.2 million to London's 7.7 million.

Metropolitan population is another measure: New York over London, 18.7 million to 13.5.

Finally, there's contiguous built-up high density urban fabric (where buildings mostly touch): New York over London by about four million to three and a half.

Overall, New York's a little bigger.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=14147

Last edited by ablarc; October 29th, 2008 at 06:31 PM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ That is the best comparison so far.

By the way, what's the equivalent in the UK, of a state here in the U.S.?

Texas is probably closest but maybe a bit smaller than the UK. The UK north to south is about the same as from Milwaukee due south to the coast.

No, I'm not talking about size. I'm talking about geo-political jurisdiction, e.g. province, state, etc.

Wiki:

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain,is a sovereign state located off the northwestern coast of continental Europe. It is an island country, spanning the island of Great Britain, the northeast part of the island of Ireland, and many small islands. Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK with a land border, sharing it with the Republic of Ireland. Apart from this land border, the UK is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the North Sea, the English Channel and the Irish Sea. The largest island, Great Britain, is linked to France by the Channel Tunnel.
    The United Kingdom is a unitary state consisting of four countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. It is governed by a parliamentary system with its seat of government in London, the capital, but with three devolved national administrations in Belfast, Cardiff and Edinburgh, the capitals of Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland respectively. The UK is a constitutional monarchy with Queen Elizabeth II as the head of state. The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are Crown Dependencies and not part of the UK, but form a federacy with it. The UK has fourteen overseas territories, all remnants of the British Empire, which at its height encompassed almost a quarter of the world's land surface, the largest empire in history. British influence can continue to be observed in the language, culture and legal systems of many of its former colonies. Queen Elizabeth II remains the head of the Commonwealth of Nations and head of state of each of the Commonwealth realms.

It breaks down into counties within each country.

110 counties in all:

http://www.maps4.com/samples/united_...ap_sample.html

^ Place your cursor on map for each county's name.

It's hard to compare anything in Europe to states really, since none of the countries are as "separated" as the US states are. On some level you could draw parallels to the UK countries, but since they are, in some degree, independent countries as well even that isn't really right.

I don't really like this state business to be honest. I think more unity would be a good thing in all aspects.

So would places in the UK like Sussex, Kent, Essex, Surrey, etc. (as seen here) be considered the equivalent of U.S. states?

No they would be way too small in comparison. I would compare the four countries to states.

I'm confused, are you talking about just in size?
    If you are talking politically then no, no countries in Europe is divided and separated like the US is. As far as I know, no other country in the world is. There could have been drawn some parallels to old Soviet, but that doesn't really apply anymore either. Russia is still sort of a confederation of more or less willing 'nations', but they don't have the individuality of American states.

The counties of UK, and most other European countries, are nothing more than the counties we have here to be honest. Local subordinated governmental entities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast