Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What counties make up NJ/NYC metro?

Default What counties make up NJ/NYC metro?

Hi,

What counties make up the NJ/NYC metro area and the Hudson Valley? I do know there are 5 boroughs in NYC just by itself.

The counties and county groupings comprising the New York metropolitan area are listed below with 2005 U.S. Census Bureau estimates of their populations.
    New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area (18,709,802)
    Hate to use Wikipedia but it seems quite accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_metropolitan_area

And that's just the MSA.

The CMSA includes much of CT, much of the rest of NJ, and the Hudson Valley.

From Wikipedia, the following:

Principal cities
    The following is a list of principal cities in the New York-Newark-Bridgeport Combined Statistical Area with 2005 U.S. Census Bureau estimates of their population:

My question: Where the heck is Jersey City? Is it not a "principal" city? Some of these census bureau classifications make no sense (such as Pike County PA being in the NYC metro area).

Thank you for the replies and the list. The reason why I was asking for a list is I live in PA and I have a 1000 channel portable scanner and I wanted to program for the NJ/NYC metro. I actually live in Allentown. Does anyone possibly know if I program it, will I be able to get the channels or are they for short distance?

Allentown is just outside the official metro boundaries, so I think it's possible.

The A-B-E metro area is actually merging into the NY metro. Pike County is already NY Metro, and Northampton County will probably be NY Metro by the next decennial Census.

Is Philadelphia County going to be part of the NYC Metro? I might move to Philly, not sure when.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    Allentown is just outside the official metro boundaries, so I think it's possible.

The A-B-E metro area is actually merging into the NY metro. Pike County is already NY Metro, and Northampton County will probably be NY Metro by the next decennial Census.

I don't think in the next few years, but one day NYC and Philly will probably be part of the same CMSA.

It happened with DC-Baltimore and is happening with Boston-Providence, so it will soon happen with NYC-Philly.

The CMSA's are often misused. For instance it is often used to calculate average home prices for a "city" (New York vs. San Francisco for example), but when we're averaging the values of homes well into the mountains of Pennsylvania it really doesn't give an accurate estimate. That may be true for all cities to some degree, but due to the definition, New York's is among the most skewed.

Hey there, will either the person in this quote or someone take a look at this site and possibly tell me that I have enough space on my scanner for the NY Metro? I have 1000 channels that means 1 per frequency code (of course you would all know that!!!)

http://www.radioreference.com/

Click on the RR Database to the left then click on the desire states on the map for the NY metro and then it will take you to a list of counties on the state you clicked.

I don't think in the next few years, but one day NYC and Philly will probably be part of the same CMSA.

It happened with DC-Baltimore and is happening with Boston-Providence, so it will soon happen with NYC-Philly.
    Last edited by php111; February 29th, 2008 at 08:02 PM.

I would think maybe New York, and Newark.

Quote Originally Posted by JCexpert558 View Post
    I would think maybe New York, and Newark.
    I don't get it. NYC and Newark have always been part of the same metro. Newark is as close to and as connected with Manhattan as most of Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx.

And NYC and Newark are only 7 miles from one another. NYC-Newark would be like Boston-Cambridge or DC-Arlington.

Providence is 50 miles from Boston, and there's lots of open space in between. Baltimore is 40 miles from DC, and there's a little open space in between.

Center City Philly is about 90 miles from Midtown Manhattan, but Philly city limits are only about 35 miles from NYC city limits.

Between NYC-Philly there's still more open space than DC-Baltimore, but less open space than Boston-Providence.

I don't get it. NYC and Newark have always been part of the same metro. Newark is as close to and as connected with Manhattan as most of Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx.

And NYC and Newark are only 7 miles from one another. NYC-Newark would be like Boston-Cambridge or DC-Arlington.

Providence is 50 miles from Boston, and there's lots of open space in between. Baltimore is 40 miles from DC, and there's a little open space in between.

Center City Philly is about 90 miles from Midtown Manhattan, but Philly city limits are only about 35 miles from NYC city limits.

Between NYC-Philly there's still more open space than DC-Baltimore, but less open space than Boston-Providence.
    Sorry, I miss understood

Thumbs down

I can't believe they include Union, NJ as a principle city but exclude Elizabeth, NJ.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I notice Westchester cities like Yonkers and New Rochelle isn't getting any love from the US Census Bureau either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast