Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: suburbs of NYC

Smile suburbs of NYC

What are known as the best suburbs of the New York City area? Is it Jersey City, Hoboken, Bayonne, etc..?

Which one is generally the safest along with the quickest route by train to the NYC area?

Thanks for any help.

Good question. I'd like to know this, too.

Quote Originally Posted by invictus77 View Post
    What are known as the best suburbs of the New York City area?
    Welcome to this site. We can better answer your question if you define "suburbs" and "New York City area."

There are suburb-like areas in all four outter boroughs of New York City.

If you have ruled out living anywhere in NYC, the suburbs of NYC are in: New Jersey, lower Westchester County, and western Nassau County.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    ...the suburbs of NYC are in: New Jersey, lower Westchester County, and western Nassau County.
    ...and southwest Connecticut. You could regard much of Long Island as suburban New York, as well as up the Hudson to almost Poughkeepsie.

Actually, the Census Bureau defines the concept.

When you say "best suburbs", what are your criteria? If you're rich, maybe nothing less than Scarsdale, Short Hills or Hempstead will do.

If you're on more of a budget you may end up in Weehawken, which has a nice view.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    If you're rich, maybe nothing less than Scarsdale, Short Hills or Hempstead will do.
    Hempstead?

Surely you mean the Town of North Hempstead!

Well Ok, not all of Hempstead.

By per capita income the wealthiest New York suburb is Hewlett Bay Park a village within the Town of Hempstead. It's number 18 on the list of 100 Highest-income places in the United States.

Random Personality

Astoria is definitely not suburb like. If you want more suburban feel, I would advise areas closer to the Nassua Border (but there are a few pockets in the middle of Queens that are suburb like).

Are you looking to Live in an area with houses, less traffic, basically suburban life minus the hussle but close to Manhattan?

In Queens, Forest Hills Gardens is a nice area, close to Austin street, you can find some really nice houses (1 mil+). Additionally you will be about a 30 minute ride into Manhattan.

Additionally in Queens, other nabes to look into are Bayside, Hollis Hills, Oakland Gardends, Douglaston, Great Neck. In my honest opinion these areas are great except for their commute into manhattan is dificult. Since there is no subway and you will have to drive to an LIRR station. Also the LIRR Frequency is not that great.

Then Nassau Long Island, for proximity to Manhattan by public transport I think Hicksville is the best option. Hicksville has the higest frquency of trains to/from Penn Station. I currently live in Hicksville and I would not move to any other area on LI, but being close to Manhattan is top priority to me. Addtionally Hicksville is close to Garden City where Roosevelt field mall and anything you could possibly want to buy is. Another advantage of Hicksville over many of the LIRR Stations is that parking is pretty easy if you live in the "Town of Oyster Bay", which includes Hicksville, Sysoset, Oyster Bay and others. You are also a good distance between the North and South Shore. I prefer the nightlife on the south shore, as there is none on the north shore, except Huntington Village.

Here is a post in the past about Long Island.

I wanted to touch on the mention of Town of Hempstead vs. North Hempstead. Towns within North Hempstead are continually listed as most expensive zip codes in America, spefically Upper Brookville, where it seems every house has these hidden driveway/streets leading to them. Old Westbury is also up there check out Polo Dr on http://www.mynassauproperty.com These are some insane houses.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Well Ok, not all of Hempstead.

By per capita income the wealthiest New York suburb is Hewlett Bay Park a village within the Town of Hempstead. It's number 18 on the list of 100 Highest-income places in the United States.
    This is going to sound petty to most people who are not from Queens or Nassau County, but there is a huge difference between Hempstead and the Town of Hempstead.

You (Ablarc) are on the mark about the Town of Hempstead as a whole. The infamous "Five Towns" area on Long Island's South Shore is beautiful and inhabited by the wealthy. (Exception: Inwood.)

Hempstead is one zip code (11550) within the Town of Hempstead. Hempstead (11550) is in Central Nassau County, and is part industrial, part working class, and part low-income. Certain parts of Hempstead (11550) have a criminal element and are not particularly safe at night.

Needless to say, rentals and real estate prices in certain parts of Hempstead (11550) are low. It's right by the LIRR to Manhattan, and out-of-towners who look up the zip code may think they are getting especially good value...

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike9110 View Post
    so what areas of queens & brooklyn are suburbun like?

i want to make sure when i move to NY i dont just go from one suburb to another!

Bay Ridge suburban like?
    Astoria suburban like?
    I lived in Philadelphia for 2 years, so I know where you're coming from. There are certain areas of Philly that have close NYC counterparts.

You should make this a new question because it needs specific attention. If you don't mind saying what part of Philly you're from, (North, South, West, etc.) -- we can tell you which parts of NYC are just like where you're from, and which parts are a little different.

I'd be one of the people contributing to your topic, but you might be surprised how many other people know your city well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    Welcome to this site. We can better answer your question if you define "suburbs" and "New York City area."

There are suburb-like areas in all four outter boroughs of New York City.

If you have ruled out living anywhere in NYC, the suburbs of NYC are in: New Jersey, lower Westchester County, and western Nassau County.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I'm looking mainly for a place that is within a 30 minute train ride into Manhattan.

"New York City area" for me is basically Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens, but mostly Manhattan though.

Cost isn't a very big consideration, but I like the concept of getting more bang for your buck in places like Jersey City( on the water), etc..

Another big factor for me is safety. I know parts of Jersey City has a bad wrap, but wasn't sure if it was like this at the water front.

Quote Originally Posted by shocka View Post
    Are you looking to Live in an area with houses, less traffic, basically suburban life minus the hussle but close to Manhattan?

In Queens, Forest Hills Gardens is a nice area, close to Austin street, you can find some really nice houses (1 mil+). Additionally you will be about a 30 minute ride into Manhattan.

Additionally in Queens, other nabes to look into are Bayside, Hollis Hills, Oakland Gardends, Douglaston, Great Neck. In my honest opinion these areas are great except for their commute into manhattan is dificult. Since there is no subway and you will have to drive to an LIRR station. Also the LIRR Frequency is not that great.

Then Nassau Long Island, for proximity to Manhattan by public transport I think Hicksville is the best option. Hicksville has the higest frquency of trains to/from Penn Station. I currently live in Hicksville and I would not move to any other area on LI, but being close to Manhattan is top priority to me. Addtionally Hicksville is close to Garden City where Roosevelt field mall and anything you could possibly want to buy is. Another advantage of Hicksville over many of the LIRR Stations is that parking is pretty easy if you live in the "Town of Oyster Bay", which includes Hicksville, Sysoset, Oyster Bay and others. You are also a good distance between the North and South Shore. I prefer the nightlife on the south shore, as there is none on the north shore, except Huntington Village.

Here is a post in the past about Long Island.

I wanted to touch on the mention of Town of Hempstead vs. North Hempstead. Towns within North Hempstead are continually listed as most expensive zip codes in America, spefically Upper Brookville, where it seems every house has these hidden driveway/streets leading to them. Old Westbury is also up there check out Polo Dr on http://www.mynassauproperty.com These are some insane houses.

Good info here.

Are there any places that have an abundance of greenery, but is still within a 30 minute train ride into Manhattan?

Generally, I like the concept of being close enough to Manhattan but being just far enough where there is a little less of the congestion and bustle.

Does any such place exist?

Are there any places that have an abundance of greenery, but is still within a 30 minute train ride into Manhattan?

Generally, I like the concept of being close enough to Manhattan but being just far enough where there is a little less of the congestion and bustle.

Forest Hills Gardens, Queens.

Take the LIRR out there and look around. You'll forget about the others. At walking distance, it has a great shopping district; and it's even on the subway.

Exquisite.

The parts of Jersey City that "have a bard wrap" are Greenville and Lafayette is still in transition. Thw Waterfront and Downtown have the lowest crime rates in the city. Jersey City is the safest out of all the NJ cities. JC is like Brooklyn and Queens and the Bronx; they all have their good and bad areas.

Good info here.

As ablarc mentioned, Forest Hills Gardens is prob the perfect Mix of Suburb Life with City Life. The architecture of the houses in this area, are in my opinion some of the greatest in NY, then comes Garden City Park in Nassau County.. I am still pretty young and just crave the city life, but looking long term, FHG seems like the place I would like to settle down.

Greenery you can find ALL over Long Island. There are VERY few areas where you will not get a decent size front yard and back yard. The real secret if you crave greenery is to get a corner house.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast