Thread: If you work in NY, but live in NJ/CT, do you pay NY state tax?

Default If you work in NY, but live in NJ/CT, do you pay NY state tax?

My NYC employer is deducting NY state taxes from my paycheck, even though I live in CT. Payroll advised me that this is correct.

Is this how taxes really work? If so, what happens when I file in CT? Do I have to pay CT and NY state taxes?

(Note: I'm talking about state taxes, not city taxes or the old commuter tax that was abolished.)

Any clarification of this would be greatly appreciated.

You must file IT-203 (nonresidents who earned income in New York State).

You must also file a resident Income Tax return for Connecticut. Information here on how to claim credit for New York taxes paid on your Connecticut return.

Zippy is a Godsend, isn't he?

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply!

I guess this means I won't be taxed in CT, since NY taxes are higher. Too bad I did financial planning based on CT taxes.

Perhaps it's different state-to-state, but I live in Wisconsin and work in Illinois, but I'm always charged WI tax. From my understanding, you are taxed by the state you reside in.

Illinois has reciprocal agreements with Kentucky, Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan. For income from wages tips, commissions, etc, earned in Illinois, you can file a return for your state of residence. For other sources of income from Illinois, you must file and Illinois nonresident return.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Illinois has reciprocal agreements with Kentucky, Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan. For income from wages tips, commissions, etc, earned in Illinois, you can file a return for your state of residence. For other sources of income from Illinois, you must file and Illinois nonresident return.
    Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

Default live in NYC, work in NJ

I live in NYC and work in NJ. I have NYC, NY state, and NJ SUI/SDI (whatever that is) taxes withheld on my check. Is that all correct? And do I have to do anything special at tax time ala recip agreement or anything? Do I file fed, NY _and_ NJ or what? Or do I need to get an accountant, haha. Thx!

Yes, the witholding is correct.

SUI is State Unemployment Insurance
    SDI is State Disability Insurance

If you file a federal return and are a New York State resident, you must file a NYS Resident Income Tax return. You claim resident credit for taxes paid in another state (in your case wages in New Jersey) by filing form IT-112-R

Don't accept my answer as gospel. These things change all the time. All state taxation departments have websites with customer assistance.

http://www.nystax.gov/

Thanks for the info and links!

Default I live in MA and work in NYS, do I pay taxes in both states?

I'm not sure if anyone still visits this thread but...I am about to take a new job in Westchester but remain residing in MA. Will i be double taxed on the income earned in NYS? Do i pay one before the other? Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sean

Default State Income Taxes - NY, CT but why my new wife?

I am getting married and have been told that since I work in NY but live in CT and my bride-to-be works in CT and lives in CT, that when we wed, I will have to pay state taxes for NY on her salary as well as mine since it is a joint return. Can anyone shed any light on this. Utterly

My daughter shot a commercial in New Jersey but lives in NYC. Does she have to pay taxes in both states? How do we find out what form to use for her to get a 'resident credit' in NYC? I couldn't figure out the website http://www.tax.ny.gov/. I just kept following links and getting confused...help?

Oh, Wait! I think I found it! http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/2005/inc/it112ri_2005.pdf
    Except, now I remember her saying they didn't take out NYS tax, so how does that work? Maybe I can find that answer too! Thanks for the help =D

I'm moving to NY state and work in NJ...wondering what I should do with my paycheck/payroll now. I have conflicting answers with this. I was told to #1 just keep doing what I was doing with the NJ taxes, not to take the NY taxes out of the check and to put aside an estimated $ for the NY taxes for the end of the year to be paid. and # 2 to take the NJ AND the NY taxes out of my paycheck now and then file taxes at the end of the year. I know I have to file the non resident form in NJ and have to file regularly in NY...but what is the best or correct way to do this?