PDA

View Full Version : The Weaker Sex

Kris
March 14th, 2003, 05:14 PM
March 16, 2003
The Weaker Sex
By MAGGIE JONES

Men start out ahead: 115 males are conceived for every 100 females. But it's downhill from there.

• The male fetus is at greater risk of miscarriage and stillbirth.

• Male births slightly outnumber female births (about 105 to 100), but boys have a higher death rate if born premature: 22 percent compared with 15 percent for girls.

• Overall, more newborn males die than females (5 to 4).

• Sudden infant death syndrome is one and a half times as common in boys as in girls.

• Boys are three to four times as likely to be autistic.

• Boys are three times as likely to have Tourette's syndrome.

• Mental retardation afflicts one and a half times as many boys as girls.

• Dyslexia is diagnosed two to three times as often in boys as girls.

• As teenagers, boys die at twice the rate of girls.

• Boys ages 15-19 are five times as likely to die in a homicide.

• Boys ages 15-19 are almost 11 times as likely to die by drowning.

• Boys ages 16-19 are nearly twice as likely to die from a car accident.

• Men are 16 times as likely as women to be colorblind.

• Men suffer hearing loss at twice the rate of women.

• Though women attempt suicide two to three times as often as men, four times as many men actually kill themselves.

• The male hormone testosterone is linked to elevations of LDL, the bad cholesterol, as well as declines in HDL, the good cholesterol.

• Men have fewer infection-fighting T-cells and are thought to have weaker immune systems than women.

• Men have a higher death rate from pneumonia and influenza than women.

• By the age of 36, women outnumber men.

• Men ages 55-64 are twice as likely as women to die in car accidents.

• Men ages 55-74 are twice as likely as women to die of heart disease.

• In the United States, men are twice as likely to die from parasite-related diseases (in part, some speculate, because their greater average size may offer parasites a bigger target).

• Among people 65 and older, men account for 84 percent of suicides.

• Stroke, cancer, diabetes, heart disease and accidents -- all among the top causes of death -- kill men at a higher rate than women.

• American men typically die almost six years before women do.

• By the age of 100, women outnumber men eight to one.

• The good news? Men who live to be 100 tend to be in better shape than their centenarian female counterparts.

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

Gulcrapek
March 14th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Females self injure almost four times as much as men... that's the only argument I can throw..

ZippyTheChimp
March 14th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Just..wait..till..she..gets..home.

TLOZ Link5
March 14th, 2003, 06:38 PM
I took a sociology class at NYU last summer, and interestingly enough, while we were discussing Durkheim the comparison between more frequent suicide attempts in women and more freqeutn successful suicides in men came up as a question in our midterm. *Here's a copy of my answer for that answer, which might help explain this phenomenon:

3. *In contemporary Western societies, males are four times more likely to successfully commit suicide; yet women are four times more likely to attempt suicide. *Gender differences, factoring into accessibility to suicide methods, might explain this disparity. *In domestic cases, women normally would attempt suicide as a “cry for help;” the most common method for suicide among domestic women would be to take pills, which normally do not deliver a lethal dose. *Men, however, are more likely to carry through with the suicide because they have access to more deadly weapons. *Men carry firearms more often than women, and make sure that they alone can access this weapon by hiding it where no one would look or locking it in a safe and keeping track of the key. *As such, in cases of domestic suicide the male, as opposed to the female, will have ready access to his own gun if he owns one.

DominicanoNYC
March 14th, 2003, 07:28 PM
I don't feel that women are weaker than men or that men are weaker than women. I see it as that both sexs have different views on that and that we should see each other as =.

Kris
March 14th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Women lose their beauty more quickly.

NoyokA
March 15th, 2003, 10:16 AM
ummmm................

Are there any women on this site anyways? I dont think we have to prove anything.

Christian, Im actually suprised you posted that.

Gulcrapek
March 15th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Where's Jessica?

TLOZ Link5
March 15th, 2003, 01:06 PM
There's also Zoe.

Kris
March 15th, 2003, 02:00 PM
What's the matter? I only stated a well-known fact. I love women and wish they would keep their beauty forever.

dbhstockton
March 15th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Women get into more automobile accidents, but men are more likely to be injured or killed in a crash. *That might change, as you see more and more distracted housewives behind the wheel of GMC's and Excursions. *Moreover, I think I remember that statistic was from the mid-nineties, so not everybody had cell-phones, another factor contributing to car crashes.

Fabb
March 18th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Men are 16 times as likely as women to be colorblind.

YESSS ! Men win.
No need to argue. The rest is meaningless.

Merry
March 19th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Quote: from Stern on 10:16 pm on Mar. 15, 2003
ummmm................

Are there any women on this site anyways? I dont think we have to prove anything.

Are women not welcome on this forum?

Kris
March 19th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Sure you are.

NoyokA
March 19th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Merry: I would actually like it if more women would join, and Im not saying this as your typical guy.

Merry
March 23rd, 2003, 06:53 AM
Well, that’s a relief.

I know I don’t contribute a great deal to this forum, mainly because many threads deal with either new projects both proposed and under construction - not to mention the seeming obsession with tall, and tallest, structures - or other issues which are outside my areas of interest (and knowledge) as far as New York City specifically is concerned but I hope what I do contribute is of some small qualitative significance and value to fellow New York City aficionados (irrespective of gender) from an overall perspective. * Don't get me wrong, though, I've learnt a great deal about what's happening in NYC architecturally and otherwise from this forum and I value and appreciate the knowledge and opinions of other forum members. *I also hasten to add that I am fascinated by and in awe of true skyscrapers and really good architecture generally. *As far as NYC architecture is concerned, the 1920s and 30s (and Art Deco in particular) does it for me. *From a social/urban perspective, I’m interested in things like housing projects, the demographic makeup/implications in NYC and the urban landscape of NYC, particularly outside of Manhattan (am I alone??). *By the way, I’m a lot older than most (or all) of you…and proud of it.

ZippyTheChimp
March 23rd, 2003, 08:22 AM
How old are you? *:)

I have children with drivers' licenses.

Merry
March 23rd, 2003, 08:38 AM
Quote: from ZippyTheChimp on 8:22 pm on Mar. 23, 2003
How old are you? *:)

I have children with drivers' licenses.

Cool. *If I had children, they could be old enough to have drivers' licences too...I'll be 46 next week.